Who would want to take over from Johnson?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In writing off Johnson and the Cabinet tainted by this toxic Brexit, with the UK's reputation in tatters, and accepting that we are stuck with this Government until 2024, [when at the same time the US will probably have Kamala Harris as the front runner for the Democrats having had a successful time of it in the US against an also-ran for the Republicans]....

... who on earth is left in the Government who isn't branded with Brexit to lead and form a cabinet?

Rory Stewart is still there, waiting for his next 15 minutes, and so is Theresa May, for all her faults as Home Secretary and PM. Rishi Sunak has shown himself to be politically astute... then I start to struggle which isn't surprising!

Landsurfer

Über Member
Take over from Johnson ? Cummins did back in March ?
Handsoncock and his mates just do what Cummins tells them to.
Sunak has shown himself adept at giving other peoples money away ... but lets wait until it's time to ask for it back .... increased taxes .... lets see his smile crack then.

OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

There needs to be a clean sweep of the Cabinet to appoint MPs who are seen to be untainted by Brexit and Cummings' and Hancock's Covid PPE 'deals'... the Tory Central Office know this, Johnson has had his time especially now Trump is finished. Cummings is the Machiavellian Dickensian villainous weasel who will already have lined all their pockets sufficiently well enough to fade away to their bolt-holes. Farage and Rees-Mogg are yesterday's men.

OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Any new faces in the wings?

I've just looked at some of the new MPs CVs... they are stacked with Leavers- ironically all appear to have been educated at comprehensives, are the product of from broken homes and have worked as social workers yet all have personal statements which are further to the right than the most extreme libertarian,,, blue wave populism lives on in the Tory Party.

Last edited:

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
No-one wants to take over

They will wait until whatever passes for Brexit is finalised
And wait until the virus has settled down to something manageable

THEN - and only then - will they stick their head up
at that point they can take over and blame Boris for everything and do what has to be done - about which they will probably have little choice - and the hardship and taxes and other problems will all be Boris's fault

I would imagine they will plan/hope to start this in about a year - once Brexit has been shown to not work (maybe it would have , maybe not - but the Virus and Biden winning probably screw up any chance for it to work out as well as claimed)
and once there is a working vaccine for the virus - and the possibility of a plan for going forward

Then take over and take credit for all the improvements for a while before the next election

and hope Labour bugger it up again

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If Johnson does step down (which will mean admitting he's not up to the job - something I suspect that is unlikely) any of Sunak, Gove, Hancock, Patel and Raab will fancy their chances. Of those, Gove is probably the least incompetent and most able to pretend to be human. I suspect it's between him, Patel and Sunak - the Tories would love to have the first ethnic minority PM, on purely tokenistic grounds.

OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

You can't seriously suggest Michael Gove, Rabb, Hancock or Priti Patel could be PM srw- they're more toxic than the Exxon Valdez.

byegad

Legendary Member
If I was BoJo's adviser I'd already have him wearing a reinforced stab vest! Otherwise he'll never get his jacket off come the Tory internal revolution.
As has been said they will get rid of him ASAP. Once the things, Brexit and Covid, are 'done'.

Gunk

Veteran
They're not exactly awash with talent, I've never remembered a time when the cabinet of any party have been so lacklustre and devoid of any ability. I think Johnson has completely lost his appetite for it, his body language just shows how disinterested he is, now Trump has not been re-elected, it's only going to be more challenging for him moving in to 2021, and I really don't think he has the fight left in him.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You can't seriously suggest Michael Gove, Rabb, Hancock or Priti Patel could be PM srw- they're more toxic than the Exxon Valdez.
So is Johnson.

If Johnson does step down (and I'm not convinced he will) the next leader will be someone who can effectively control the Tory MPs in parliament. All they have to do is get through the next 4 years without losing a material vote in Parliament, which with an 80-odd seat majority in the Commons ought to be a piece of cake.

The fact that currently all the names I listed are not exactly flavour of the month in the majority of the country who are not Tories is, frankly, irrelevant.

I think the likeliest two from that list are Gove (experienced, a politician to his core, but has some baggage as a result) and Sunak (token Asian man, glamorous, has "rescued the country", a blank canvas like Cameron and therefore little baggage). Either would be a far more effective parliamentary actor than Johnson, and either would have a decent fist at least at leading the largest party after an election, given they can control the election date.

Top Bottom