When are people going to realise?

gbb

Legendary Member
One of the reasons I find myself leaning from the left is what I see as endless negativity. I'm a positive person, find the positive even in the negative. All I see from the left is whining.
As an extension of this, something Andy in Germany said earlier about the British psyche, I remember talking to my dad when I was about 40 and came to the realisation that it seems everyone in this country wants an opinion nowadays, to shout the opposition down (in all things in life not just politics)...dads reaction was...the Britsih were ALWAYS that way, you just didnt realise it. So perhaps infighting, endless arguing, questioning is inevitable...if not helpful.
I remember a Danish colleagues reaction to me questioning someones opinion on something I disagreed with (what doesnt matter but I was firmly putting an alternative view)...and his reaction was real open mouthed shock. I could never do that, he said. Perhaps we are quite different, perhaps it works against us sometimes, perhaps that's why we often dont work together, pulling against each other all the time.

Adam4868

Guru
One of the reasons I find myself leaning from the left is what I see as endless negativity. I'm a positive person, find the positive even in the negative. All I see from the left is whining.
I generally find there's plenty to whine about...must make me lean left ^_^

Yes I do, and I don't see why it can't as I have said some of you are hoping it will fail, for Christ sake this is our country get behind it we can make something out of this break from the EU.
I never had you down as a nude Peter Pan.

Some tangible examples of the benefits of Brexit in terms of trade, jobs, money etc. would be useful.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes I do, and I don't see why it can't as I have said some of you are hoping it will fail, for Christ sake this is our country get behind it we can make something out of this break from the EU.

"You don't see why it can't"

Seriously?

Never mind which country do you live in, what planet are you on??

FWIW fo the last four years, I've been involved in various schemes to try to get a workable deal and system of support for farmers, and growers, in the UK post Brexit.

Which of course will also impact on all our food quality and supply.

I don't like Brexit one bit, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up or wanting to see 'failures'.

But with the ag bill having gone through parliament unamended - despite the protestations of the Lords, and thereby leaving farmers open to competition from lower quality products from abroad, whilst also hampering their exporting to the EU, that's becoming increasingly difficult, day by day.

These issues, of quality assurance, and uncertainty over exports and imports are riven throughout all our industries especially if we leave with no deal.

In addition to all the extra tariffs and delays.

Does this sound like deliberately 'wanting it all to fail?'

Or might it be real world actuality from someone involved in all this stuff, literally on the ground doing it ??

oldworld

For nearly 5 years I have repeatedly asked the question what does the UK get out of leaving the EU. I've yet to hear one definite benefit from leaving. Lots of guff about making our own laws and controlling our borders. To date not one beneficial thing has come about.
Off course the people voted to leave and much as I regret this I fully accept it.
What I don't accept is the foolish idea everything will work out for the better. It won't and the only people who'll benefit are the rich. Poor people will get poorer.
Blaming sceptics like me will have nothing to do with it. It failed from day one when the UK thought they'd have their cake and eat it.
I was accused by a Brexit voter of hating my country and didn't have faith in the British, all because I pushed her to tell me one certain benefit from leaving. She is a very old friend and we're still friends, we just avoid talking about Brexit.

stowie

Legendary Member
"You don't see why it can't"

Seriously?

Never mind which country do you live in, what planet are you on??

FWIW fo the last four years, I've been involved in various schemes to try to get a workable deal and system of support for farmers, and growers, in the UK post Brexit.

Which of course will also impact on all our food quality and supply.

I don't like Brexit one bit, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up or wanting to see 'failures'.

But with the ag bill having gone through parliament unamended - despite the protestations of the Lords, and thereby leaving farmers open to competition from lower quality products from abroad, whilst also hampering their exporting to the EU, that's becoming increasingly difficult, day by day.

These issues, of quality assurance, and uncertainty over exports and imports are riven throughout all our industries especially if we leave with no deal.

In addition to all the extra tariffs and delays.

Does this sound like deliberately 'wanting it all to fail?'

Or might it be real world actuality from someone involved in all this stuff, literally on the ground doing it ??
Don't know why you farmers are all moaning. Just change your sheep for cows. It must be true because George Eustice, the Minister of State for Food, Ag and fishing, said so

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
And out of the ashes we will rise again.............
Oh come on, there weren't going to be any ashes, there were never ashes on the side of a bus, not a single one of the charlatans that sold the Brexit dream mentioned ashes. We were promised it'd be success, fortune, easy trade deals, gold paved streets and rivers of chocolate right from the get go.
As for Remainers talking the country down and wanting the country to fail:

View: https://twitter.com/MitchBenn/status/1043469165510774784?s=20

Unfortunately this video is from long enough ago that the solution is null and void now, but the message still stands.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Will of the people, or biggest wrong vs right yet?

View: https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1328395944551911429?s=20

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
... for Christ sake this is our country get behind it we can make something out of this break from the EU.
What are you doing to get behind our country and make something out of this break with the EU? I’m not after the flag wavey god save the queen stuff, but tangible actions that you’ve taken that will make our lives better than they would have been in the EU. Otherwise it’s just Unicorn semen isn’t it?

the snail

Veteran
... few people realised this was going to be a huge mess.
I think the opposite is true. Since the referendum the total shambles has been increasingly obvious, but most feel that we can't go back on the result, but people just want it over with so they don't have to hear about it or think about it any more. Remember, until the referendum, most people had no interest in the EU or brexit - it was a non-issue. The only people who cared about brexit were the tory party and kippers.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I can still remember the numb feeling of total despair that hit me when the BBC updated the vote at 6am on the 24th June 2016 to confirm that the UK had voted 52:48 to leave the EU... up until, 3am it had been close but not mind-bindingly impossible that Remain could sneak back ahead... my world view imploded and it has been a living nightmare since.

The USA voting for Republicans or for the Democrats is a meaningless sideshow compared to the problems the UK is about to face next year and every year after that....

stowie

Legendary Member
Ah yes good old George, the farmers (and fishermans:whistle:) friend.

Such a joy to work alongside..
He certainly seems well versed in the ways of the countryside.

I have absolutely no idea about farming (really, none at all). Yet, in a small part of my memory I remember Geography GCSE and the fact that farming land use isn't completely interchangeable. The examples were actually diary farming, sheep rearing and arable farming. I don't think you can stick a cow on the welsh hillside and expect it to be adapt.

Reactions: mjr

screenman

Legendary Member
I can still remember the numb feeling of total despair that hit me when the BBC updated the vote at 6am on the 24th June 2016 to confirm that the UK had voted 52:48 to leave the EU... up until, 3am it had been close but not mind-bindingly impossible that Remain could sneak back ahead... my world view imploded and it has been a living nightmare since.

The USA voting for Republicans or for the Democrats is a meaningless sideshow compared to the problems the UK is about to face next year and every year after that....

I felt much the same, I also have lost a lot of business in Europe since that vote.

Top Bottom