When are people going to realise?

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
That there was NEVER going to be a deal of any kind. According to Business Insider, he promised hedge funds a no deal brexit in return for nice fat donations to Tory party funds, which the Private Eye covered before Xmas last year. Most of these funds are based in tax havens and one hedge fund manager called a no deal 'A free lunch.'

BJ's main financial backer, Crispin Odey, in August 2019, proudly boasted that he has 300 million quid bet on the pound crashing through the floor next year and, according to Byline Times, approx. 8 billion is bet by these same hedge funds that were promised a no deal, against the pound crashing next year.

This morning, I read that the UK has slipped from the 5th richest nation, in terms of GDP, in 2015 to 21st as of 2019.

Any other population would be on the streets and up in arms about this. I know I've been out of the UK for a few years but has it become so apathetic that people have stopped caring?

Defies all logic.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oris-johnson-least-willing-to-budge-on-brexit

It's nothing short of treason!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We've been through this before. The "hedge fund" theory is a baseless conspiracy, and "Byline Times" is a left-wing Breitbart.

If Johnson is really gung-ho for no deal (and that article is suspiciously ill-sourced) it won't be about doing favours for friends. It will be because he thinks it's right and what the referendum result demanded.

cougie uk

Johnson thinks it's right ? The same guy who was in favour of remaining until he could see a way to progress his career.

Everything he does is for his own benefit.

Why would we hire for our highest position a guy sacked for dishonesty twice already ?

OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
We've been through this before. The "hedge fund" theory is a baseless conspiracy, and "Byline Times" is a left-wing Breitbart.

If Johnson is really gung-ho for no deal (and that article is suspiciously ill-sourced) it won't be about doing favours for friends. It will be because he thinks it's right and what the referendum result demanded.
The hedge fund theory is not baseless, confirmed by Private Eye. Byline times is NOT anything like the racist, anti-semitic Breitbart. That's quite the accusation.

BJ's going for a no deal as his financial backers demand it. There's now too much evidence to say otherwise. If he truly cared about the country, why would be follow a path that'll be utterly destructive to the UK? We're now not rich enough, as far as GDP is concerned, to be in the G20.

I'm not aware of the referendum result demanding that we leave the single market, or the customs union, or losing influence in the world. As John Major put beautifully last week, we're no longer a world power. We're second rate. But it seems brexiters still think we rule a third of the globe. We're a laughing stock, certainly out here in Asia.

If this is all false, why are reputable media and financial organisations still ringing alarm bells about a no deal?

Last edited:
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Johnson thinks it's right ? The same guy who was in favour of remaining until he could see a way to progress his career.

Everything he does is for his own benefit.

Why would we hire for our highest position a guy sacked for dishonesty twice already ?
Or indeed a Home Secretary who was fired for scheming with a foreign power.

Adam4868

Guru

You really do have faith in Johnson don't you ? Someone's taken the time to look into Tory cronyism.Or is this all bullsh1t aswell🙄

View: https://twitter.com/sophie_e_hill/status/1325803055590334465?s=19

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
why are reputable media and financial organisations still ringing alarm bells about a no deal?
Because it's a really stupid idea. You don't need baseless conspiracy theories to understand that.

OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Because it's a really stupid idea. You don't need baseless conspiracy theories to understand that.
So it's a stupid idea for anyone to point out the economic and societal danger that awaits the UK in 2021?

That's a strange position to take.

gbb

Legendary Member
Any other population would be on the streets and up in arms about this. I know I've been out of the UK for a few years but has it become so apathetic that people have stopped caring?

Defies all logic.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oris-johnson-least-willing-to-budge-on-brexit
The pride in being British has slowly been battered out of people, society has changed enormously Imo, there is no pride, all we are told is to be ashamed of our past, our heritage, our former leaders....and perhaps all that contributes to that apathy that exists today. Theres a continuous onslaught of people and / or underfunding on housing, the NHS, council services etc etc etc. Social cohesion simply doesn't exist like it used to, it's all been thrown in a cement mixer so's to speak...and people wonder why we've become apathetic ?
The jobs market has become (covid aside) stunted and narrow and almost entirely minimum wage for 'ordinary' working folk.
Council housing is almost non existent. Private landlords sweep up any affordable property and charge a fortun.e
The NHS is terminally under enormous pressure, doctors surgeries as they used to be have become a distant memory, the staff their are actively non helpful.
The level of behaviours, fly tipping etc is epidemic, I don't even remember seeing any fly tipping when we got our first council house in 1977.
I'm 62, life has changed immensely in the last 40 years and it's not for the better imo. No wonder people are apathetic, it's a free for all out there, work the system, grab what you can and stuff everything.
This has happened and worsened ..whichever side of the political divide has had power.

And all we get is demands and threats from the EU, fine friends they turned out to be :angry:
What!?

A Brexiteer complaining about the EU and the terms and conditions of Brexit! I can understand a Remainer being unhappy, but surely not a Brexiteer? You got what you wanted: to leave, full stop. No this or that, just leave. But the EU wanted a deal which would be beneficial to both the EU AND the UK, but Captain Boris and his crew don't want to play that game and a no-deal is very much on the cards. They are happy (and mostly all multi-millionaires) and have no interest in the UK nor its lesser well-off citizens.

Have you woken up and smelt the coffee yet? The pot has burnt DRY!

Top Bottom