What's your next Audax?

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
Going back to Nottingham. But I go in between the 2 places all the time.
You do know Nottingham is going into tier 3 and that travel in and out is strongly advised against?

oreo_muncher

You do know Nottingham is going into tier 3 and that travel in and out is strongly advised against?
I don't leave my room much in Nottingham anyway. It's advised NOT enforced. If I get fed up of Notts, I'm going back to London, I don't care what anyone thinks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Catching up with this (although a bit OT). Well done for completing the 117km ride.
May I suggest you consider joining in on one of the Cycle Chat monthly challenges. Warm up on one for the next 2 months and then start one in earnest in January, and persist through the year. Various distances available: 50km, 50 miles, 100km, 100 miles, plus lunacy options. Making the effort for those will get you out there, and when March comes round you'll find riding 100km+ a piece of (dairy free) cake.
What slowed me down were 6 or maybe 7 toilet breaks
I suggest you consider drinking less immediately before and during your ride (briefly discussed on another thread). Provided you need to stop for such with 'normal' regularity (ie same as at home/uni) you will be sufficiently hydrated. Over drinking is to be avoided (and in extremis fatal). The sports drinks manufacturers have pushed the 'hydrate or die' mantra for commercial purposes. Just drink steadily (max 200ml at a time, ideally) and to thirst.

Last edited:

oreo_muncher

Catching up with this (although a bit OT). Well done for completing the 117km ride.
May I suggest you consider joining in on one of the Cycle Chat monthly challenges. Warm up on one for the next 2 months and then start one in earnest in January, and persist through the year. Various distances available: 50km, 50 miles, 100km, 100 miles, plus lunacy options. Making the effort for those will get you out there, and when March comes round you'll find riding 100km+ a piece of (dairy free) cake.

I suggest you consider drinking less immediately before and during your ride (briefly discussed on another thread). Provided you need to stop for such with 'normal' regularity (ie same as at home/uni) you will be sufficiently hydrated. Over drinking is to be avoided (and in extremis fatal). The sports drinks manufacturers have pushed the 'hydrate or die' mantra for commercial purposes. Just drink steadily (max 200ml at a time, ideally) and to thirst.
I wasn't even drinking that much- I think during the whole thing only had about 1.8l max and that was it.

I'll look into monthly challenges. I might be going on a 45km club ride tomorrow- depending on the weather. What distance can you ride easily without getting too tired? I could do with some cake but had a vegan chocolate croissant today which was top notch.

Ajax Bay

Guru
That club ride (plus riding to the RV and back) sounds like a 50km ride right there.
As @ianrauk has said, individuals' needs for liquid are different so 1.8 litres may be right for you. But if you're having to stop 6-7 times (ie more than once an hour) that suggests to me over-imbibing. I suggest you reduce either your frequency of drinking or take just a couple of mouthfuls each time, or both. If you're getting a dry mouth, consider trying to (practise) breathing in through your nose more.
I'd expect hope to stop for a slash no more than twice per 100km, and I am old and weak.
'Distance to ride without getting 'too' tired'? Go to the monthly challenge ride chat threads or the 'audax' sub-forum for insights into those who enjoy riding longer.

Nebulous

Veteran
I hope it will. It has been a tough year, and I probably pinned too much on this ride. Losing it to weather after all that was disappointing.

oreo_muncher

And all completed and finished before sunset. Think I had more daylight on this than my October one day before clocks changed. Really mild day was bare armed and no gloves after about 9am. Lovely ride in the sun.
Need more details than that :tongue: Did you get Chinese food? How long did it take you? Any difficulties along the way? The highlights? What time did you leave and arrive? Shame you didn't take pictures.

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
Need more details than that :tongue: Did you get Chinese food? How long did it take you? Any difficulties along the way? The highlights? What time did you leave and arrive? Shame you didn't take pictures.
I did take pictures but on a Polaroid cube which needs plugging into PC to get them.

No Chinese food. Shortbread fingers, hobnobs, and two rounds of jam butties. Crumpet following by quiche, chips and beans once home. Drank 2.5 litres of water.

A route north east to Kings Lynn to take advantage of a 20 mph tail wind with gusts to 45 mph gusts. Train back home. You could really feel the push when the wind was directly behind. Headwind in places but probably no more than 40 mins tops. Heavy rain around 8am but rode out of it.

Rode along the paved cycleway on right hand side of great Ouse as the sun dipped to the horizon over the water. Through the riverside area before turning for the railway station. Also bit of easy gravel riding by side of river on the run in to Ely.

Set off just before 7am and finished about 4pm. So what’s that about 9 hours elapsed? Then 1.5 hours on empty trains back home. Put my warmer jacket on once finished and before getting on train.

No difficulties and my favourite bits are riding along side the rivers and fens on deserted roads or tracks with a nice tailwind making it effortless. Caught kids leaving school with the usual exclamations as a recumbent goes by. Watching the sun set over the Great Ouse after I’d finished was a particular highlight.

Tomorrow I will see how the photos have come out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom