What's your next Audax?

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
I completed my first audax. Had about 4100ft elevation. The first 80/85km were okay but the last 40/45km were hard. The Chilterns were a bit brutal. I did all the climbs in the first 80km but after that, there were a few Im ashamed to say I walked my bike,one of the last ones was a 10% gradient hill and didn't have much power left in my legs to power through that anymore. Average speed was nothing to write home about, about 18.9km/h but I was doing the audax with my sister and she was out of shape after not cycling for over a month, so I had to stop a lot for her and go at a really slow pace. I'm proud I managed to do some of the harder climbs, I used the tips on here, don't change gear whilst doing the climb and sit back and relax and focus on breathing. It was quite cold the whole day and the merino wool long sleeve Jersey is not even warm, something you would wear for spring so I wore a long sleeve turtle neck and t shirt underneath it, wore bib shorts and some long sleeve sports leggings over it. Ate less than last time, and didn't use a sports drink mix, only water with hydrating tablets dissolved in it. I did 125km on total and finished at just a few minutes past 6pm, so just in time before it got dark and got the tube home. I have front lights but my back lights either fell off or got stolen. I don't know when I'll do another audax. This took me about 6.5 hours. There was just so much climbing! Or is that a normal amount of climbing for 125km?it was meant to be 117km but made some wrong turns or missed a turn and had to backtrack a few times,but I navigated well. Bike computer said my max speed at any point going down hill was 90km/h but I don't know if that is possible on a bike? Sounds inaccurate even though the Chilterns are very steep and have very long climbs and lots of hills. I just feel really exhausted. But I think I can see lots of improvements in my Hill climbing from when I started. The hills that I used to struggle with in Richmond Park, I can get up them now and not feel like my lungs will explode or have to give up and walk my bike. Also no tyre punctures :smile: When I wax cycling, I saw 3 people in the beginning 20km on the side of the road fixing tyre punctures. Also had to walk through a hedge in Waddesdon Park because the gate blocked the path, and this guy punctured his tyre for the 2nd time because of it. Really nice scenic views though. I don't know if i completed it in the time limit though 😅
Well done, and sounds like you made it round in the time limits. Don’t worry about walking a few of the later hills. The Chilterns are quite punchy and fatigue can overtake the legs. One of aspect of endurance is the ability of the muscles to do repeated hard efforts without fading. Endurance takes time to develop and there are rarely shortcuts to getting there.

As to future events there’s nothing showing in the calendar beyond December at the moment. So don’t assume there won’t be something closer to Nottingham next year. Some of us continue audax all through the winter but many stop till Spring and begin again in late March. So maybe consider another one in the Spring.

Once again well done, and reflect on your success, no matter if you found bits hard. We all find it hard on audaxes at some point, no matter how long we’ve been doing them. It’s part of the attraction apart from great routes. You’re challenging yourself and you may or may not succeed but either way you have a bit of an adventure on the bike.

Last edited:

oreo_muncher

Well done, and sounds like you made it round in the time limits. Don’t worry about walking a few of the later hills. The Chilterns are quite punchy and fatigue can overtake the legs. One of aspect of endurance is the ability of the muscles to do repeated hard efforts without fading. Endurance takes time to develop and there are rarely shortcuts to getting there.

As to future events there’s nothing showing in the calendar beyond December at the moment. So don’t assume there won’t be something closer to Nottingham next year. Some of us continue audax all through the winter but many stop till Spring and begin again in late March. So maybe consider another one in the Spring.

Once again well done, and reflect on your success, no matter if you found bits hard. We all find it hard on audaxes at some point, no matter how long we’ve been doing them. It’s part of the attraction apart from great routes. You’re challenging yourself and you may or may not succeed but either way you have a bit of an adventure on the bike.
I think next time I want to do a much flatter route :laugh: if I do another audax. You must have really muscley built-up legs from all these audaxes- like those folk in Richmond park!

When are you doing another audax? I don't know if I would just do another 100km or try push to the 200km? I still don't know how I ever did those 173km a month ago, I thought to myself whilst doing this audax yesterday!

The routes are very nice, much nicer than A roads.

I don't know what to do next now, probably catch up on weeks of uni work :headshake::secret:

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
I think next time I want to do a much flatter route :laugh: if I do another audax. You must have really muscley built-up legs from all these audaxes- like those folk in Richmond park!

When are you doing another audax? I don't know if I would just do another 100km or try push to the 200km? I still don't know how I ever did those 173km a month ago, I thought to myself whilst doing this audax yesterday!

I don't know what to do next now, probably catch up on weeks of uni work :headshake::secret:
Ha, my legs are quite long and thin. There’s muscle there, for sure; they are lean rather than bulky.

My next audax will be next Saturday, a 200km DIY from home. I’ll be passing through Captain Tom’s village.

Catching up on your Uni work sounds like a good plan whilst you recover from your audax.

Last edited:

Ian H

I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea
A like for the attempt Ian.
Sorry to hear it was a ride of attrition
The first 200 were enjoyable, but v hard (as I knew). After the hardest section (Bude to Looe) the legs didn't recover and we crawled to Penzance. Then we had the ghastliest meal ever at the only place open (KFC, utterly disgusting!) and ground our way to Newquay, but the prospect of a night-ride on to Bude was less than appealing.
But i knew it was marginal whether I was fit enough after lock-down, knee problems and the lay-off after the broken ankle last year. I think Richard was more disappointed than me not to finish.

oreo_muncher

Ha, my legs are quite long and thin. There’s muscle there, for sure; they are lean rather than bulky.

My next audax will be next Saturday, a 200km DIY from home. I’ll be passing through Captain Tom’s village.

Catching up on your Uni work sounds like a good plan whilst you recover from your audax.
So no visible muscles in them?

Good luck!! Did you plan your Chinese take away stop? How are you prepping?

That didn't really go to plan today ://///

Tribansman

The first 200 were enjoyable, but v hard (as I knew). After the hardest section (Bude to Looe) the legs didn't recover and we crawled to Penzance. Then we had the ghastliest meal ever at the only place open (KFC, utterly disgusting!) and ground our way to Newquay, but the prospect of a night-ride on to Bude was less than appealing.
But i knew it was marginal whether I was fit enough after lock-down, knee problems and the lay-off after the broken ankle last year. I think Richard was more disappointed than me not to finish.
Top effort with all that going on. The ups and downs of the Cornish coast are always brutal and rhythm-busting, so tough no matter how fit you are.

I once had a proper existential crisis triggered by extreme fatigue and a rancid, cold and greasy, utterly repulsive KFC. Something like 'we do this to poor chickens to produce this filth, who do we think we are'!! xx(

Tribansman

Well done on completing it 👍

Think it's a good idea to try a flatter one next. Climbs at the end of a long ride can feel really tough, much more so than we think they should or than they would be at the start of the day.

Maybe look for an audax in Suffolk or around Newark or Lincoln. They'll probably be flatter than most

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
So no visible muscles in them?

Good luck!! Did you plan your Chinese take away stop? How are you prepping?

That didn't really go to plan today ://///
Well we all have visible muscles by the shape of our legs.

I don’t plan Chinese for a 200. More likely something savoury from village shop on this one. But if I see something open at about the right time I’ll stop. I fancy a hot pie but I’ll see what’s available on day. Plenty of village shops to choose from. Chinese tends to be if I’m riding into the night.

Prepping? I’ll just ride my bike every day this week. I’ll do a couple of longish rides tomorrow and Wednesday with shorter rides on the other days. I have plenty of 200s in the legs so not much in terms of prep other than keeping legs turning over and getting decent sleep each night.

The bike has its winter tyres on after the blowout on the 400. Chain oiled Friday but possibly top up on Friday depending on mileage rest of this week. Everything else running smooth.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well done @oreo_muncher It sounds similar to my first audax: 100k, finishing not knowing if I'd got round inside the time cut, taking a wrong turn, walking up hills ... Since then, although I haven't become an avid audaxer, I've done a few.

There may be somewhat fewer available for now, due both to the onset of winter and the dreaded Covid. In the meantime just keep riding your bike and having fun doing so.

oreo_muncher

Well done @oreo_muncher It sounds similar to my first audax: 100k, finishing not knowing if I'd got round inside the time cut, taking a wrong turn, walking up hills ... Since then, although I haven't become an avid audaxer, I've done a few.

There may be somewhat fewer available for now, due both to the onset of winter and the dreaded Covid. In the meantime just keep riding your bike and having fun doing so.
What's the longest audax you done?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What's the longest audax you done?
I've done one 400km, a few years ago, and a handful of 100s and 200s. 400 is my limit, I can't see myself ever attempting a 600. At the moment I don't think I'll do another 400, but that could all change. I certainly intend to do 200s again in future. Maybe have a bash at a 300 - but they are a bit less common.

oreo_muncher

Well we all have visible muscles by the shape of our legs.

I don’t plan Chinese for a 200. More likely something savoury from village shop on this one. But if I see something open at about the right time I’ll stop. I fancy a hot pie but I’ll see what’s available on day. Plenty of village shops to choose from. Chinese tends to be if I’m riding into the night.

Prepping? I’ll just ride my bike every day this week. I’ll do a couple of longish rides tomorrow and Wednesday with shorter rides on the other days. I have plenty of 200s in the legs so not much in terms of prep other than keeping legs turning over and getting decent sleep each night.

The bike has its winter tyres on after the blowout on the 400. Chain oiled Friday but possibly top up on Friday depending on mileage rest of this week. Everything else running smooth.
Now I'm craving Chinese food. What distances do you class as longish and short distances for your prep?

I washed my bike, degreased it and lubed it before my audax, I hope I done it correctly!

oreo_muncher

Well done on completing it 👍

Think it's a good idea to try a flatter one next. Climbs at the end of a long ride can feel really tough, much more so than we think they should or than they would be at the start of the day.

Maybe look for an audax in Suffolk or around Newark or Lincoln. They'll probably be flatter than most
I would need to take the train to those areas. For my first audax, I thought it would be a good idea to cycle 53km to Fulbeck for an audax and only managed to complete half the audax because I was worn out. So I'm not doing that again.

Top Bottom