What Low Level Risks Should be Considered Whilst Cycling - Advice for Others Please!

Aravis

Here for the ride.
A couple of bits of advice from personal experience:

If you're being dropped off from a car to begin a ride and the car is continuing its journey, spend a few moments double checking that you really have extracted everything you need from the car before it's too late. Especially water bottles...

And when you pass one of these

don't automatically assume that it won't happen.

wajc

Über Member
1. Assault by ninja hare - whilst out cycling with some friends, one of whom had disappeared round a bend up the road. We rounded the bend ourselves to see our friend standing by his bike, coughing and spluttering and clutching his chest. Apparently he had 'chased' a hare along the side of the road for a short while, only for it to momentarily disappear in to the hedge bottom before re-emerging and launching a flying kick Kung Fu style straight at his chest.

Advice - don't upset hares

2. Tractor Drafting - always a little dodgy but even more so if you find yourself behind one that has just come out of a muddy field. Brick sized lumps of mud flying towards your head is something that quickly makes you back off.

Advice - don't draft tractors carefully choose your tractor.

Threevok

This space available to rent
I hit (and killed) a large seagull, back in the summer.

I live nowhere near the sea, so it's the last thing I ever expected to run over with a bike, let alone kill !

It just jumped out from the barrier at the side of the main road and, before it could take off (or I could safely brake) I ran over it, to the noise of a very large crunch

I can still picture the image of it in my mirror - lying there motionless, on it's back, with his legs in the air

I try to find solace in the fact, that it may have been the same gull that stole my chips in Tenby in 2009, and thus deserved it.

Moral of the story - be prepared for ANYTHING

TheDoctor

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Low level risks I have encountered.

Discovering the pub had half-price beer. Mitigation - drink ALL THE BEER to prevent drunken cyclists colliding with me.
Feeling tired and afraid at top of significant incline. Mitigation - Kir, three courses and wine before descending Col de la Colombiere.
Falling into ford. Mitigation - carry someone else's mobile. They will rush to help you (once they've stopped laughing).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Metal drain covers , especially when wet. Just avoid riding over them.
They scare me too but sometimes, with a big cover and a busy road, steering round them isn't a viable option. My policy is to go straight down the middle of them, avoiding turning on them at all costs.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Wasp stuck in helmet was nasty. I flung the helmet into a hedge but the wasp got a decent sting in first.

A spare seat binder bolt is worth carrying, especially if your bike takes one of the Campag non-keyed ones. They are notorious for snapping without warning. Riding home while standing all the way is no fun.

Squirrels 🐿 trying to take you out when cycling near trees. Always have nuts ready to throw to the side to divert the crafty buggers.
Just read this:

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/how-to-improve-bike-handling/50763/19?u=hlab :laugh:

I’ve been doing all my TR workouts on Elite quick motion rollers since ~November (not my first use of rollers, but first time I’ve used them consistently for anything other than recovery spins). Saturday I hit a squirrel at ~19 mph. It flipped the squirrel into the air, sommersaulting like some kind of furry Cirque de Soleil act. It briefly bounced off my crotch then hit my left shin (I had unclipped by this point), and I managed to swing my leg and flick him away. I stayed upright during all this, despite the “speedbump” effect of hitting the hairy little rat, and the ensuing panic that he was going to bite my privates. I credit the roller training to keeping me upright. I highly endorse rollers if you have any plans of running over wildlife

Trickedem

Guru
A herd of deer ran between me and another rider on a fast descent in Ashdown Forest.
I was attacked by those nasty Australian magpies when I rode in the country side outside Perth.
A few bee/wasp stings along the way. Luckily I don't react too badly to these.
I could have avoided falling off, by not picking blackberries whilst clipped in.

Top Bottom