Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by fossyant, 1 Aug 2019.

1. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Whaley Bridge has been evacuated as the spillway on Toddbrook Reservoir has been badly damaged due to the level of rain. This could literally wipe the village out if it goes, and will likely flood villages further down the Goyt (New Mills, Marple, Romiley, Bredbury and Stockport).

potsy likes this.
  2. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

I know, absolutely mind blowing! The hydraulic pressure mist have been enormous.

Illaveago likes this.
  3. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Aye I'd just seen that, terrifying for those living under it. :eek:

Illaveago and Drago like this.
  4. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Marple Bridge is going to be especially vulnerable, with the Goyt passing through it and there being nowhere for the water to flood to, other than towards Stockport.

5. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

For once I am grateful for living up a big hill. I was planning on riding over that way this evening but I will give it a miss I think

Illaveago, Donger and Drago like this.
  6. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

Feckin bad news that.

7. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

I hope you're all seeking somewhere safe down there as the pictures of the Toddbrooke Reservoir Dam, showing part of it having collapsed, are very alarming.

Police are co-ordinating an emergency evacuation of the town as the Environment Agency has said there is significant danger to life.

dambust.jpg

More details on the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955

8. OP
    OP
    fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

The river was about 1m below the main wall yesterday in Marple Bridge. Normally the river is about 10m below !

I'm about 1/2 mile from the Goyt and my MTB routes run past it. I'm lucky I'm a good few 000's of meters higher up.

9. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Could the flood be diverted to wash Blackpool into the sea? It would be a merciful end for the town.

Edwardoka, si_c, Illaveago and 7 others like this.
  10. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Not good let's hope it hold's out. It's no joke if that go's.

11. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

Useful contribution.

theclaud and potsy like this.
  12. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Working at a large employer in Hazel Grove, a few miles down the A6 corridor from Whaley Bridge, I'm sure many of my colleagues will live in the danger zone so I guess a fair few of them wont be going to their own homes tonight, or for a few days/weeks into the foreseeable? :sad:

avsd and potsy like this.
  13. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Really ?

theclaud and Blue Hills like this.
  14. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

By utter chance I live on a high spot, a good bit further Nortj if any water course. This was luck rather than design, but if I ever but another house its vulnerability to flooding will be high in the list of things to watch for.

Illaveago and raleighnut like this.
  15. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Not going to be easy moving everyone out. Let's hope it holds even if it holds it's going to take some time to repair.
    Not too fair away is last time one went which was the Great Sheffield flood 1864 that killed 240. If this went it would make that look like a dripping tap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice