Vistalite VL-300 replacement

winjim

Iron pony
I think we can all agree that rear light technology reached its zenith in 1992 with the introduction of the Vistalite VL-300 and that any supposed advances since then have been unwelcome and unneccessary*. However, after 27 years my faithful unit seems to have finally packed it in so I'm reluctantly seeking a replacement. I would like it to be as close as possible in design and function to the VL-300 which does introduce some constraints.

• Something with multiple LEDs rather than a single bright dazzling one.
  • Dim, for heavens sake, or at least dimmable.
  • Wide and visible from an angle. I don't like my single LED lights which will destroy your retinas from one very specific direction but can't really be seen from the side.
  • Doubles as a reflector. Reflectors are awesome.
  • Attaches to a reflector mount or can bolt on to one of those adaptors from SJS which have an M5 (I think) thread. No rubber band seatpost mounted nonsense.
  • Battery power or easily removable and rechargeable. Would probably prefer AA or AAA.
  • Maybe meets all current regulations to stay within the letter of the law, but I'm flexible on that. The VL-300 didn't 27 years ago.
  • Knight Rider mode is awesome but not essential.
So any ideas?

If anyone's interested in the fate of the VL-300, or thinks it can be saved, here's what's happened to it:

Switched off, a single LED lights dimly. The circuit board is marked 'sw' here.

Switched on, the other four LEDs light brightly. Same with flash and Knight Rider mode, just the four.

*Although to be fair I'm pleased that front LEDs are now white instead of green

Milkfloat

Guru
You could of course stick with your retro attitude and buy a replacement Vistalite VL-300 , yours for just £50 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-1990-s-Vistalite-Vista-VL-300-Clear-Red-Reflector-Green-LED-Bike-Lights/283618138010

OP
winjim

winjim

Iron pony
Cateye 610, great light

View attachment 488270

Bloody hell, that's a big picture.....................The lights not that big honest. :rolleyes:
That does look like a good light, but the mount doesn't look ideal. I see you can get a rack mount, but mine doesn't have the wide plate for it, and I worry that with the width and the weight of the light, it might wobble about a bit too much. It's a maybe though. If anyone knows of a cateye mount that would attach to a standard reflector mount that would be useful.
That's because the light in your photo is really close, while the one in winjims photo is far away...
That's one reason I like reflectors. You interact with them dynamically, so they give a better sense of perspective.

raleighnut

Guru
That does look like a good light, but the mount doesn't look ideal. I see you can get a rack mount, but mine doesn't have the wide plate for it, and I worry that with the width and the weight of the light, it might wobble about a bit too much. It's a maybe though. If anyone knows of a cateye mount that would attach to a standard reflector mount that would be useful.

That's one reason I like reflectors. You interact with them dynamically, so they give a better sense of perspective.
614ITCU9uBL._SX466_.jpg

raleighnut

Guru
Yes, I've nowhere to attach the wings.
Cut em off, a good single bolt fixing through the centre hole should be secure.

Top Bottom