Top Touring Tips

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Maggot, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Deafie

Deafie Veteran

I never use half of what I take, usually coz I cant be bothered to rummage around and find it

raleighnut likes this.
  2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Yep there is that too. :laugh:

The times it was really useful was in setting up a tent with sleeping bags and cooking gear etc then cycling back home leaving the trailer there in the tent in order that my partner and I plus the dog could travel up to it by Train/Bus without having to cart all that weight (neither of us drive) then after a week or so return home on public transport and I'd cycle back up there and pack the trailer up and cycle home again. You may think this a bit 'long winded' but I got to cycle around 100Km to the campsites (in the Peak district) which took most of a day with the trailer set up the tent and have a kip then have a bimble around on the bike before heading home the 3rd day. It's only about 4 hrs to get home 'sans trailer' so an early start for me meant we could all leave Leicester before lunch to arrive at a ready pitched tent in the evening. :becool: coming back was the same thing in reverse.

classic33 and uphillstruggler like this.
  3. Deafie

Deafie Veteran

I like your style!

raleighnut likes this.
  4. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I like the idea of a trailer for local load carrying, I had some plans for a DIY one.

I probs do more nights out backpacking, overall than cycle touring, so all my usual kit - tent / sleeping bag / stove / clothes food electrical etc comes to about 11 kg..

Plus I spose maybe half a kg of bike related kit, which all goes into my four square panniers, and back rack pretty neatly.

I often wonder what folks have got in those massive ortlieb cargo holds they lug everywhere.

Plus all the additional stuff strapped to the top :wacko:

But I'm far too polite to ask :stop:

5. iwantanewbike

iwantanewbike Senior Member

When showering, spend a minute wiping down as much water off your head and body before using the towel. That way you can pack a smaller towel and give it the best chance of being dry for next time!

6. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

A tip that I've learnt in the last few days :

If you buy a pie, pasty or other pastry product to eat en route, then try to eat it on the same day. They are very crumbly (and in hot weather, slimy) 2 days later.

raleighnut likes this.
  7. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Potentially rotten too. I've been unwell after keeping cheesy food half a day (30+°c) before eating it, when I didn't have my cool bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice