Top Touring Tips

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Maggot, 10 Jul 2007.

1. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

You could sing "Why does it always rain on me..."

2. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

I could that too..
    But given that it mostly seems to be sunny when I ride, that might appear a tad ungrateful, not to mention inaccurate.

I also rather favour.

"Lord - won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?? "

I even went so far as to learn the second verse..

You don't want to be petering out of material, half way past the road works.. Gotta keep the road fixing guys entertained :smile:

raleighnut likes this.
  3. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

"The road to nowhere..."

mudsticks likes this.
  4. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Always best... A dead-end by the sea... Or a Loch :smile:

Blue Hills likes this.
  5. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

With enough breeze to keep the midges away.

6. eversorich

eversorich Regular

Superb! ...and so right.

7. eversorich

eversorich Regular

Thanks for bringing a laugh to my day!

Bored Man likes this.
  8. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

Sorry to spoil your new year but this advice, once good, is severely dated. Spoons switched to using bottles of stuff quite some time ago. So not a goer unless you are comfortable with more serious thieving. I can recommend them for touring though for some excellent beers, often very local, limitless hot drink refills, decent breakfasts which can also be a good early lunch .handy recharging, often interesting local history boards.

9. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Some may disagree with that, plus the chain's political activities dictated by its leader, plus also touring is a chance for something different instead of the same dull chains.

Tenkaykev likes this.
  10. Blue Hills

Blue Hills ^

To clarify, in case of any doubt, my post was not a criticism of eversoich, nor was I serious in my reference to "thieving" sachets - posted for information purposes only.

As to your post and the charge of "something different" (as in not) and "same dull chains", it is clear, from a multitude of posts, a badge of honour with you that you never go in the things. So a pronouncement from something like very little to zilch real life knowledge.

I can assure you that although not all are good (as in life) they are not all the same. And that, touring by bike or whatever, I have learned rather a lot about local history, people, and culture in them. In fact I would recommend them to foreign tourists for several reasons.

11. Bike trailers-so nice. I had no idea how good a bike trailer could be, until I got ahold of an old Burley trailer from the 1980's, which I am refurbishing.

mudsticks and raleighnut like this.
  12. berty bassett

berty bassett Guru

Haven’t read any of the posts on here , I might be going over old ground so forgive me before I start.
    I would just like to praise the route planning website cycle.travel. I just put start and finish points in , clicked paved only and copied route to garmin - didn’t know the area at all and it took me on some really quiet lovey roads
    Well worth using if you don’t know the area

dickyknees and Blue Hills like this.
  13. Deafie

Deafie Veteran

Absolutely! I have been using a two wheeled flatbed trailer for transporting equipment and materials for work since 2006 and it is brilliant. The only time I really notice it's there is on the uphills, single wheel trailers like the BOB I think are not so user friendly, on the GDMBR group members using BOB's tended to crash a lot, I believe they affect the handling quite considerably unlike the two wheeled ones. I'm considering a big ride next year and will definitely use a trailer, so much nicer bike feel and easier to organise a Rubber Maid than all those fricking bags

14. I had plans to build a flatbed trailer, but I think this one ticks all the boxes for what I need. But I don't have work needs for my bicycle, I bought a retired industrial tricycle for work.

15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Ditto for the getting up hills problem, I found I took far more than was needed just cos I had room for it.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice