The ultimate Sir Keir Starmer thread

Your point is....oh you haven't got one.Im not to sure if you noticed Corbyns gone ?
Oh no he hasn't.

He's still causing problems.

My point is that it was less the Labour Party than Corbyn people were voting against.

In polls before the last election Brexit was clearly a large factor in people's decisions to vote Tory. But so was Corbyn.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Good point,I'd allways vote Labour and allways have.But...Stsrmer coming in to unite the party ? Seems to have some odd way of doing it.
To be honest Adam, anyone would have trouble getting the Labour Party to unite as one voice...

It's never happened before in my lifetime [except for the genius of John Smith- the best Prime Minister we never had], why would it now?

Labour has a broad and diverse rainbow spectrum but underpinning everything is the right of the working person to fair representation, and guaranteed support for the sick, the vulnerable and the disaffected.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The Labour Movement is common to us all, across every divide... that is why I am so disappointed that Labour didn't motivate the working people across the EU to the common purpose. The strength that unites us all is the same whether we are Scots, Welsh, English, French, German... what a wasted opportunity. That's why I supported Remain, that's why I didn't understand the Blue Labour vote. People have lost their voice and need to focus. Brexit is over, we've left the EU but the ties and the common purpose, to make things better than we have now, remain.

wafter

Über Member
Corbyn went against a damning EHRC inquiry into the Labour Party. A key part of that was interference of leaders office with investigating.

The general secretary suspended corbyn.

Now, whatever you think of Starmer, he is a lawyer, and he's not stupid. Do you really think he's chosen to interfere with this?
I certainly don't think Starmer's stupid, I do think he's blatantly capitalising on the opportunity to purge the party of his political opponents..

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Tell me something I don't know ? Or else as you say we've been over it a million times.The last election was won on Brexit.Thats it.
You keep repeating this bollox, frantically deluding yourself but fooling absolutely no-one else. It's quite amusing to see you do it time and time and time again in the face of the facts.

Jeremy Corbyn was the biggest reason voters didn't back Labour

Research carried out in the aftermath of the disastrous night for mr Corbyn found some 43% of people who didn't vote Labour cited the party's leadership as their reason. Corbyn loyalists were quick to blame Brexit for the party's drubbing, with the Labour leader himself saying the election had been "taken over ultimately by Brexit and we as a party represent people who voted both Remain and Leave." But just 17% of people who did not vote Labour said the party's stance on Brexit was the reason.
It's like a child stamping his feet and insisting Santa exists.

Adam4868

Guru
You keep repeating this bollox, frantically deluding yourself but fooling absolutely no-one else. It's quite amusing to see you do it time and time and time again in the face of the facts.

It's like a child stamping his feet and insisting Santa exists.
Repeating bollox about Corbyn is something you seem pretty obsessed with yourself ? What you worried about,he's gone.From the very beginning you made clear what you thought of him.If there's a broken record,take a listen to yourself.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I certainly don't think Starmer's stupid, I do think he's blatantly capitalising on the opportunity to purge the party of his political opponents..
Except that it's well established that it wasn't Starmer who suspended Corbyn. It was the General Secretary of the party.

Corbyn isn't Starmer's political opponent. He's an ally. Johnson is Starmer's political opponent.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment

It was interesting the policies were not mainly behind the defection from Labour. The right-wing tabloids go crazy if a strongly left Labour party might get elected because this just might genuinely threaten the unbridled privileges of the better off.

I cannot but imagine Corbyn's dismal performance as leader of the opposition during the Brexit debates and cliff-hanger votes must have put many people off. An effective leader could and should have roasted the Tories.

As an aside, doesn't all that seem an eternity ago now? Watching the drama unfold live, followed by "Unlock"!

snorri

Legendary Member
Excuse my naivety, I know that I don't observe the political scene as closely as many in the UK, but am I the only person in the country who couldn't determine if Corbyn was for or against Brexit?
It seemed to me that any political leader who failed to make clear their stance on such an important issue didn't deserve to win an election.

icowden

Über Member
Nope, Corbyn sat so firmly on the fence the spikes must have given him a colonoscopy. Corbyn hates Europe just as much as the extreme Tories do.
He voted against membership of the EEC, the lisbon treaty and I think privately backed Brexit.

Solocle

What did you expect to happen that would prompt you to leave the country?
That's easy. I fully expected him to ban emigration, and quite possibly travel, to Israel (probably under the premise of preventing British nationals from joining the IDF). Not having somewhere to go in case the excrement hit the fan was my most immediate fear. Because how do you stop Jews from emigrating to Israel once they're in France? Well, you ban travel to France, obviously. And that's before we had the COVID travel bans! Perfect cover for introducing such a policy.

From there, all it takes is an economic collapse, eg. no spare money in the coffers when COVID hit, it had already been spent, and it'll never be the fault of St Jeremy. There's obviously somebody else to blame... it'll be those pesky Zionists still trying to undermine his leadership.

Thinking "oh, it's not that bad"', or "oh, it won't happen", is not in Jewish psyche since 1945.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
That's easy. I fully expected him to ban emigration, and quite possibly travel, to Israel (probably under the premise of preventing British nationals from joining the IDF). Not having somewhere to go in case the excrement hit the fan was my most immediate fear. Because how do you stop Jews from emigrating to Israel once they're in France? Well, you ban travel to France, obviously. And that's before we had the COVID travel bans! Perfect cover for introducing such a policy.

From there, all it takes is an economic collapse, eg. no spare money in the coffers when COVID hit, it had already been spent, and it'll never be the fault of St Jeremy. There's obviously somebody else to blame... it'll be those pesky Zionists still trying to undermine his leadership.

Thinking "oh, it's not that bad"', or "oh, it won't happen", is not in Jewish psyche since 1945.
There’s no point in me trying to reason you out of your position since it looks to me like you have arrived at it through fear rather than anything that Corbyn said. That’s not to denigrate you, merely to accept that as a random bloke on a cycling forum I can’t compete with the things that drive your belief.

I’m grateful for your explanation though. Food for thought.

BoldonLad

Veteran
Excuse my naivety, I know that I don't observe the political scene as closely as many in the UK, but am I the only person in the country who couldn't determine if Corbyn was for or against Brexit?
It seemed to me that any political leader who failed to make clear their stance on such an important issue didn't deserve to win an election.
+1

Top Bottom