The still nasty party....

OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mod note:

Some of the stuff posted today goes too far. If such things got posted about labour politicians it would create a massive shitstorm in the mod room and we'd get abuse if it wasn't dealt with instantly.

Those posting in here like to think of themselves as intelligent and informed. Try to show it.
The joke is that the obscenities of the current Tory chumocracy are somehow acceptable, but calling a spade a spade is somehow not. It has nothing to do with party politics....the wasted money, the dehumanisation of asylum seekers, foodbanks, they are obscene as are those that devise and implement those policies.
After all, one can hardly accuse me of being unpleasant, belittling, or bullying to Priti Patel, I was just showing 'grit' and being 'robust'....
That Sir, is a shitstorm....

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Mod note:

Some of the stuff posted today goes too far. If such things got posted about labour politicians it would create a massive shitstorm in the mod room and we'd get abuse if it wasn't dealt with instantly.

Those posting in here like to think of themselves as intelligent and informed. Try to show it.
I am equal opportunities when taking the mickey out of politicians when they behave like reprehensive a'holes, it is not my fault that Conservative ones give me more opportunity. You can ignore the complaints of bias if you are not actually biased.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The joke is that the obscenities of the current Tory chumocracy are somehow acceptable, but calling a spade a spade is somehow not. It has nothing to do with party politics....the wasted money, the dehumanisation of asylum seekers, foodbanks, they are obscene as are those that devise and implement those policies.
After all, one can hardly accuse me of being unpleasant, belittling, or bullying to Priti Patel, I was just showing 'grit' and being 'robust'....
That Sir, is a shitstorm....
No, I'm afraid you went too far. They were just crude insults instead of reasoned debate. I thought better of you.

I rather resent the implication that I'm okay with the way this bunch have behaved while in power. They are not my fault.

OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No, I'm afraid you went too far. They were just crude insults instead of reasoned debate. I thought better of you.

I rather resent the implication that I'm okay with the way this bunch have behaved while in power. They are not my fault.
I'm am in no way inferring that you (or any of the moderation) have any political view at all.
But occasionally, even the mildest and generally good natured of us can be so enraged by circumstances to go too far when reasoned debate is no longer useful currency....

At risk of bring the conversation on topic, the govt plans to break their own manifesto committment to aid aren't going down too well

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...k-foreign-aid-budget-cut-chancellor-announces

except of course with Farage, if you hadn't twigged exactly why they're doing it.

View: https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1331594338967695362
Replies to Farage are funny tho

View: https://twitter.com/vinod_d007/status/1331594747207671810

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm am in no way inferring that you (or any of the moderation) have any political view at all.
But occasionally, even the mildest and generally good natured of us can be so enraged by circumstances to go too far when reasoned debate is no longer useful currency....
Okay, I understand. :okay:

Can I ask everyone posting in these political threads to please try and keep a cool head as much as they can. In my view (for what it's worth) the whole mess that we are currently in owes much to angry rhetoric that has come from all sides. Very soon we will need to be finding urgent solutions, not to be driven further apart.

Can I ask everyone posting in these political threads to please try and keep a cool head as much as they can. In my view (for what it's worth) the whole mess that we are currently in owes much to angry rhetoric that has come from all sides. Very soon we will need to be finding urgent solutions, not to be driven further apart.
Well, I agree with your moderation decisions here, and the cool heads bit.

But I absolutely disagree with your view that the situation is down to angry rhetoric from all sides. The mess we're in is down to the exploitation of nationalism and xenophobia, it's been done many times through history and it's overwhelmingly, if not entirely from one side, I'm afraid.

[Edit: false balance and the allowance of lies to stand of equal weight with truth has helped this poisonous process no end too]

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve had 3 posts deleted today. I almost never have posts deleted or get involved in spats so I blame you for egging me on. 😁
I think we just sleep move on. Sensible people know Patel is a nasty piece of work and I don’t believe it is in any way controversial to say that.

McWobble

Euthermic

I agree with you that both sides need to calm the "angry rhetoric". Sadly, it must be understood that Johnson thrives on division. That's how he gained power. That's how he won those seats in the NE. That's why it was the NW regions where there's less support for the Conservaatives that went into Tier 3 lockdown, with minimal financial help. It is the Tories that are benefitting from disunity now - and they're still fostering it. Not least with their hard line Brexit policy which categorically spurns almost half the population.

Make no mistake: this will tear this country apart. The break up of the UK is now all but inevitable. And even within England, disunity has been allowed to fester - as policy. While blame can be distributed to all sides, by far the majority should be heaped on Johnson and the Conservative party. It's on their watch. They're the ones who've been in a position to start the healing process. But not merely have they failed to do so, they've deliberately inflamed tensions. The consequences of this will be, at best, a bitterly divided - and smaller! - UK whose endemic divisions will ensure political paralysis while the country's international standing diminishes. For decades.

I think the time has come when it's fair to say that anger is not only justified, but a rational and reasonable expression against what is going on.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Doing a reverse image search for that brought up -

Meeow.

Anyhoo, the source is somebody on Twitter who doesn't back up the figure with any data. View: https://twitter.com/raggedtp/status/1302335101951455232?lang=en

Googling "Average MPs Expenses" doesn't give a lot of concise information, but in 2005, the average MP's allowances were £122k per year according to the Times, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mps-expenses-claims-now-average-pound122000-zqtkwnhfnf7.

Priti Patel has been an MP for 10 years, 10 years of allowances at 2005 rates gives - 10 x £122,000 = £1.2 million!

Gosh, Priti Patel has claimed the average amount of expenses (at 05 rates).

Top Bottom