The Post-Brexit Thread

The trouble is the article is not all facts but opinions extrapolated from facts.

It is a fact that shipping prices could rise, and probably have risen, significantly but price rises of 300% (for white goods and staple foods) is outside the shipping company's expertise and is an opinion.

There is no need to exaggerate the problems that Brexit (in this case allied to Covid) will cause with a headline saying 'could'. They may as well write 'could or could not' rise by 300% but that would not give the East Anglian Daily Times the chance to get a scoop over the FT.
Thanks, but I do feel that the headline was reasonable given it's use of the word 'could'. By the given account, shipping prices have been rising dramatically recently and remain on an upward trajectory. It is also reported that shipping companies are reluctant to steer ships into UK ports for fear of delays caused by congestion - I think he probably will have good knowledge of that.

Thanks, but I do feel that the headline was reasonable given it's use of the word 'could'. By the given account, shipping prices have been rising dramatically recently and remain on an upward trajectory. It is also reported that shipping companies are reluctant to steer ships into UK ports for fear of delays caused by congestion - I think he probably will have good knowledge of that.
Exactly. He has enough ammunition against Brexit in his own area of expertise without veering into other areas.

We will be changing our fridge next year, and I will really start moaning when I see its price has risen from around £500 to £1500 (or £2000 with a 300% hike). I fully expect to see it cost more than it does now because of Brexit, but I very much doubt three times as much.

screenman

Legendary Member
Exactly. He has enough ammunition against Brexit in his own area of expertise without veering into other areas.

We will be changing our fridge next year, and I will really start moaning when I see its price has risen from around £500 to £1500 (or £2000 with a 300% hike). I fully expect to see it cost more than it does now because of Brexit, but I very much doubt three times as much.
The carriage is only a part of the overall cost, I own a business that is the sole UK distributor for a USA company, my carriage cost have gone up by 50% in the last 3 years possible more in some cases. My exports to Europe stopped shortly after the vote as my customers there started buying direct from the USA for a couple of reasons not cost as I could supply cheaper for them due to my bulk buying.

The carriage is only a part of the overall cost, I own a business that is the sole UK distributor for a USA company, my carriage cost have gone up by 50% in the last 3 years possible more in some cases. My exports to Europe stopped shortly after the vote as my customers there started buying direct from the USA for a couple of reasons not cost as I could supply cheaper for them due to my bulk buying.
I know that.

I still question the article over its claims of a 300% price hike for white goods based on an increase on transport costs, which are only a part of the overall cost.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know that.

I still question the article over its claims of a 300% price hike for white goods based on an increase on transport costs, which are only a part of the overall cost.
I did not read the article, my own costs for import cost is 22% before vat but including import duty and clearance fees.

I know that.

The article does not claim any such thing. It reports on the boss of a shipping company saying what he thinks could happen based on current trends and the knowledge he has working in that field.

C R

Veteran
The article does not claim any such thing. It reports on the boss of a shipping company saying what he thinks could happen based on current trends and the knowledge he has working in that field.
It was an over-exaggerated figure in a headline in a provincial paper, just written for effect. Putting the weasel word 'could' in there means absolutely nothing substantial.

He is undoubtedly concerned about shipping cost rises and delays and presumably is against Brexit, but the shipping company boss is not working in the field of white goods or staple foods. His business forms just part of the costs of those goods. I know we will be facing price hikes, but when Samsung tell me I will be facing 300% price hikes for my fridge I will really worry.

Brexit will be bad enough without resorting to hyperbole.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It was an over-exaggerated figure in a headline in a provincial paper, just written for effect. Putting the weasel word 'could' in there means absolutely nothing substantial.

He is undoubtedly concerned about shipping cost rises and delays and presumably is against Brexit, but the shipping company boss is not working in the field of white goods or staple foods. His business forms just part of the costs of those goods. I know we will be facing price hikes, but when Samsung tell me I will be facing 300% price hikes for my fridge I will really worry.

Brexit will be bad enough without resorting to hyperbole.
I could be swimming the channel next week based on my knowledge of swimming and I can see France from my local beach....

Top Bottom