The Post-Brexit Thread

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I would have thought the only two options left - Afghanistan-terms or a microdeal - were right up your street? You‘ve won. What’s the problem?
I don't understand why being genuinely concerned for the future of the economy and prosperity is considered 'moaning', let alone funny.

For us as a family of 5 there are numerous ramifications of a no deal Brexit. Health insurance, tax (that will go up for us), driving licence, pension, recognition of qualifications, student status, employment prospects . Too much uncertainty to make decisions, but partly got round by taking out citizenship.

My point is though how much worse this must be for companies wanting to trade where vastly more complications can arise. We as a family are likely to be somewhat worse off financially, but trading under WTO rules might mean the end for some British companies who are already in dire straits due to Covid, all due to a self-destructive and irrational hatred of the EU.

The man responsible for this might resign next year, and if not then then later, and go on to live in luxury basically for doing nothing. Now that is something to moan about. ^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Right that's £20bn per year of trade secured. That's roughly one day's worth of trade with the EU.

Oddly enough the UK government isn't admitting which EU regulations it's signed up to to get it.

Great so we're going to go round the globe and see if we can secure trade deals with individual countries almost as good as the ones we had already under the EU..

Aha.. I've got it..

At last..

That's what this Brexit is all about.

A devilush conspiracy by 'The Guild of Worshipful Trades Deals Negotiators' to create themselves jobs for life.

Those, darstardly coves.. :angry:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Don’t forget all the jobs for arbitrators now we need our own. No more cost sharing with the other 27.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-appointment-call-for-expressions-of-interest

Yeah arbitrators..

Never trusted them either..

The clues in the name

Arbi - traitors :cursing:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You tell em Skippy, what’s that there is someone stuck down a mine shaft with a broken leg strewth cobber !

Yeah and I demand the right to poison myself, and everything around me with any goddarn pesticide I choose.

Bloomin EU, trying to keep us, and our food safe, what a bunch of lightweight wusses.

It'll be organophospate cocktails for all, come the glorious day... :sad:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Treasonous May's only legacy will be to have nearly screwed up Brexit and nearly screwed up what should have been a walkover general election that almost resulted in Comrade Corbyn's barmy lefty policies being inflicted on this country.
Believe me, plenty of people are bothered about May, and just wish she had quietly buggered off into retirement at the last general election. If she had any integrity she would have stepped down and walked away from political life.
Beamed up from Corbyn, captain.

May at least had the sense to see that failure to negotiate a reasonable agreement with the EU before the end of the transition period would mean that the trade agreements that are going to have to be negotiated after this will involve an enormous legislative burden perhaps spread out over years that could be prevented by getting it over in one go when everything is still aligned. Following Prof Dougan's reasoning she also started to wise up to the damage a crash out could do to Britain.

The British govt isn't remotely read for no deal, there simply isn't time to restructure British legislation after 45 years of membership and set up British equivalents for things done Europe-wide for several decades. A sensible government for pragmatic reasons would have extended the transition period due to corona, the right to such an extension being something the British government insisted upon, not the EU.

She was also right to intervene recently to criticise the government, in its haste to have nothing to do with anything EU, is risking access to security information in combatting terrorism and organised crime.

I think May could be criticised for more devotion to her career than a genuine commitment to either remain or leave, but for anyone on the leave side to complain about her integrity is a bit rich, to say the least of it.

Top Bottom