The Brexit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I wont click a Daily Mail link but I think I know what the story is, Nissan have a list of possible post Brexit scenarios, one of them was to shift everything to the UK and hope to hoover up all the business created by the other manufacturers leaving? I seem to remember something about this being a suggestion put forward by two people. Is that it?
To be honest if it safeguards existing jobs and replaces jobs lost then I would welcome it.
Yep

The express have picked it up with an equally misleading headline.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Our crap fptp system explains but not justifies that.
There is no post so it's not even fptp but I bet you know that.

There are many ways to measure democracy and the UK is currently poor on many of them, which is what I was pushing at by pointing that a small party has a thumping majority while the biggest party got whupped. ETA: policies agreed by 500k stand more chance of being widely acceptable than those agreed by 150k, all else being equal.

But we return to the central problem: what can people do usefully when the playing field is not merely sloped but bent?

Last edited:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Our crap fptp system explains but not justifies that.
I'm not so sure the system was quite as broken as many assert. The last election was essentially a one issue ballot, and large numbers of traditional Labour supporters voted Tory to get what was most important to them. I don't think the current Tories are likely to be able to keep them.

Had the country had PR, would it not have been a distinct possibility that the result would have been a hung Parliament, with all the in-party fighting spilling over into negotiations for a coalition?

mjr

I'm not so sure the system was quite as broken as many assert. The last election was essentially a one issue ballot, [...]
That's retcon. All parties had many other issues on their leaflets and I suspect Corbyn lost more votes due to his alleged pacifism, antisemitism and totalitarianism than Brexit dithering.

Definitely a hung parliament under PR. Not so sure about the infighting because people would be expecting coalition-building.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
all those who got out on the streets protesting Brexit need to refocus their energies on solving the problems that are homegrown.
Your exhortation confuses me, and sounds a bit like those that tell me to get behind the country, which really means that I should stop warning of imminent danger.

I work in the public sector doing a job I enjoy that I believe contributes to the benefit of society. I am a member and supporter of a progressive political party which has the same aims. I try to be tolerant* and decent and charitable to people around me and encourage others to do the same. As such, I’m no different to most of the population.

What are you asking me to do?

* OK, I can be a bit snarky but nobody is perfect.

mjr

I thought we were going for Australia style now, not that I remember that coming up previously mind.
Australia has a trade deal with the EU? Since when?

Negotiations opened three years ago and may have more years to run - not really usable as a blueprint for a trade deal to be ratified within 11 months.

Is this a euphemism for a no-deal crash-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom