The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

steverob

Veteran
So with a month to go, let's just have a quick look at the numbers for this year compared to last time. It seems futile to try and compare any previous year to the trash-fire that has been 2020, but I'll give it a go anyway!

Last year we (appropriately) had 13 people enter the Lunacy challenge; and by enter, I mean post at least one ride of their chosen qualifying distance on the thread; and 10 people managed to complete it. This year we are up to 15 entrants, although given the prevailing circumstances, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that we will have fewer people completing - indeed there were three people who have only logged one ride, with all of those occurring before the first lockdown started I think.

As of 1st December, we have four finishers already - in order: @Sea of vapours, @Tribansman, myself and @Rickshaw Phil - with @aferris2 only one ride away from being the fifth. Got a handful of people on 8-10 rides who may still be able to complete if December's riding weather is kind, but beyond that it's looking unlikely we'll see many other finishers this year unfortunately.

aferris2

Veteran
I'm done! Last ride of the challenge completed today. Last year I had the advantage of being in the southern hemisphere for the last part of the year. Then the problem was too much heat. This year its back to the cold North half and its been really difficult to summon up the enthusiasm to get out. Of course, once you're wrapped up in the extra layers its fine.
Kept more or less to my standard route with a slight variation to the end to miss out some of the essex hills. Little sunshine today and no wind either so that was good.
Now, just need to work out how to add another moon to the signature and work out what distance to aim for next year.

aferris2

Veteran
Congratulations on finishing this year @aferris2 .. and congratulations too for being our only Multi-Continental Lunatic

If there were 13 continents, we could have another truly epic Lunacy challenge ...
Thanks!
The Australian adventure was meant to give me about 18 months of summer - going north in the colder months and south in their summer. It didn't work out that way with fires and the virus... Never mind!
Maybe the next challenge could be each ride in a different country. Bonus points awarded for getting outside Europe of course.
Sadly I don't think I'm going to be able to return to Australia for a year at least.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well unsurprisingly it looks like I'm not going to make it. My challenge was 100km (with an ethical requirement of 1,500m climb) and I managed 9. During lockdown I've just been doing local rides with lots of hills (up and down, up and down at Crystal Palace)

If I do a retrospective lunacy assessment - which I realise is against the spirit of the challenge - then I did 13 rides of greater than or equal to 83.3 km. (Or 92.2 km if I cheat and include turbo rides).

If I were to impose a personal ethical climbing limit then I managed 13 rides of 62.6 km or more with at least 1,000m of climb. (or 71.8 with turbo cheating)

I doubt I'll improve on those but for a brief inter-lockdown period it gave me something to aim at, so thanks for that.

OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
I can't decide what to do about 2021... In an ideal world, I'd aim for 161 kms for this challenge (metric equivalent to imperial century), PLUS the metric-century-a-month, PLUS top up with the 50-a-month, aiming to do separate rides for each. I also want to do my new climbing challenge.

The thing is, I reckon Covid-19 will still be a big issue until at least mid-summer, so most of my rides until then will be done solo so my motivation to do longish rides could again be an issue.

There is also the small matter of my recent challenge failures... :whistle: I still feel that a challenge should be a challenge so I don't want to play safe by picking a distance that I know that I can/will do. OTOH, repeatedly trying but failing to complete challenges is depressing!

I'll decide before the end of January what I am going to have a go at.

Aravis

Here for the ride.
I failed by two, but it might be worth remembering that 11 rides of 200km is still the second highest I've ever achieved in a calendar year, even in those far-off days of my youth.

I did think it was reasonably well in hand but I had a setback a couple of months ago and 125 miles wasn't realistic. I made it over the line for the ICaM challenge though.

Remember the glorious weather of the first lockdown? There were at least a couple of rides I could easily have extended to 125 miles during that period. But Audax had decreed that although there was no limit on how far anyone was allowed to ride, informing someone in advance of their intention was too dangerous.

Much thanks to @ColinJ and @Sea of vapours for getting this challenge established. I'm not sure what I'll do next year. Whether I'll be fit enough to start 100 milers in January I'm not even thinking about at the moment. If not, a lunacy target of 100 miles sounds a bit too easy; 200km a bit far, especially as I think I'm done with Audax.

Let's just remember that 2021 is going to contain some great days in the saddle. :smile:

Aravis

Here for the ride.
Why is that then, just out of interest?
A very fair question. I don't really have any great motivation to do calendar events - I think I've done four since 2015. My main reason for joining a couple of years ago was to pick up some cool awards when there was still a chance I might have the strength and ability. RRtY is achieved, so the venture into Audax has its tangible reward. SR is beyond me I'm sure. Last year I was possibly still in with a chance of the Randonneur 5000 award when lockdown struck. But at the moment I'm nowhere near being able to contemplate these sort of rides, so I think it's best to forget it for the moment (I've sent a personal message of thanks to my DiY organiser for all his friendly help) and start building myself up again gently.

Maybe next Autumn my world will look completely different and I'll pick up the challenge again. :smile:

bluenotebob

Über Member
Assuming there are no more lengthy lockdowns in France this year, then I’m up for this Challenge again. It’s perhaps a dodgy assumption – apparently 60% of the French don’t want to be vaccinated against Covid (WTF is wrong with them?).

I’m staying with my 2020 target of 84km. I know how I’m going to do it .. two qualifying rides by 30 April, seven by 30 June, and eleven or twelve by 30 September. Whether I actually do it is another matter. Motivation and positivity are pretty thin on the ground at the moment. I haven’t even looked at one of my bikes since 13 December – never mind gone for a ride.

Could we have a new thread for 2021 rides, please ? ...@ColinJ ?

steverob

Veteran
Not sure what my target will be for this year. Might go back to the 65 mile target from 2019 that I failed to achieve, but may hedge my bets with something slightly lower (say 100km) and have the higher number in my back pocket as a stretch goal.

Regardless it will certainly be above this years goal of 50 miles, as barring one pre-Covid ride in March, at which point I hadn't officially signed up for the challenge anyway, all my qualifying rides I managed to get done in pretty much 5 months (20th June to 21st November), so clearly I need to push myself a little harder this time round.

Top Bottom