The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Aravis

Here for the ride.
I think perhaps you've mised an 'also' qualifier in a post of mine a while back.

I entirely understand your rolling Lunacy thing and talked about having adopted it in post number 704 . I then said that "I'm also doing a rolling thirty day 1,000km, which is somewhat focusing" Those are entirely different things, the only link being that they are both 'rolling', but one's 'long rides in the last year' and one is 'total distance in the last thirty days'.
Ah yes, I remember that now. I probably glossed over it because as I tend to ride on just two or three days each month I think it would give me a schedule it's almost impossible to keep to.

As to the demotivating thing: yes, I think that's a problem with challenges in general. There has to be a risk of failure or it's not a challange, yet actually failing is certainly problematic. My approach to ameliorate that, at least in part, is to dismiss external factors in advance of their happening as 'not counting'. So the shingles misfortune would certainly count there, and in my case, were every day in January to be icy, I'd fail all sorts of challenges as I really don't do ice, but I really don't think I'd feel terribly bad about it (annoyed, but not as if I'd failed as such since it's wholly* external).

* 'Wholly' given my choice to not cycle when it's icy anyway, which is pretty much my highest level 'not doing it' with respect to cycling.
There were at least two or three rides in the early lockdown days where I could easily have done another 10-15 miles to make them lunacy qualifying, but I assumed I'd have plenty of time later on. So I consider the likely failure to achieve rolling annual lunacy to be largely my own fault. Shingles needn't have put me quite so close to the precipice.

I think that mentally I've been coping remarkably well with this year's events, but in the last couple of days something in my mind has certainly snapped. A long dark winter is looming ominously. I've always thought that if I had to give up cycling but remained reasonably mobile, I'd try to do some serious photography. The thought of not continually looking at the weather calendar for good cycling days seems strange, but perhaps that's what's needed, just for a while.

I'm looking for 'just about tolerable' on the weather calendar at the moment :-\ Photography's a very good option though. I'm a landscape photographer and would argue that inclement weather and the winter months are best for interesting images.

OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
I'm looking for 'just about tolerable' on the weather calendar at the moment :-\ Photography's a very good option though. I'm a landscape photographer and would argue that inclement weather and the winter months are best for interesting images.
'Professional' or 'hobbyist'?

I got the feeling that you just whizzed round your mega-hilly scenic cycle routes without stopping! Do you sometimes carry a big camera and stop to take photos, or do you keep the cycling and photography as separate interests?

I've never carried anything capable of capturing light and producing a photograph on a bike (for values of never not including when I was cycle touring as a teenager). I suppose 'serious hobbyist' is about right, though I have sold a few prints when people ask. My camera bag, including tripod, comes in at about 15kg, so whilst I do carry it, sometimes plus bivvy gear, up hills, I'm not about to cycle with it.

OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
Hmm, 15 kg would be pushing it! :laugh:

I sometimes carry that much back from shopping at Lidl but that is only 1.5 km and almost a flat route. I wouldn't fancy doing a hard ride with that much extra weight to carry!

I know it isn't a 'proper' camera, but I'd like to start carrying my little Canon Powershot S120 on some of my rides. It can take reasonable pictures in good light. I used to have a small bar bag which fitted my old camera but it is slightly too small for this one. I can't be bothered to keep stopping to take a camera out of my backpack. I'll have a look on eBay later to see if I can spot anything suitable

There's also the minor detail that I tend to spend something measured in hours wandering around looking for just one composition ... Not really compatible with cycling in lots and lots of ways! Not that making landscape images is at all the same thing as carrying a small camera or phone to capture scenery and people on a route of course, for which your small bar bag approach has always sounded very good to me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My sister, who takes her photography very seriously, had to trade in and replace most of her gear with lightweight stuff because, following health problems, she was no longer capable of carrying it.

Last edited:

steverob

Veteran
One more ride to go!

Bit longer in terms of distance than I'd anticipated - original plan was only just over 50 miles; then added a few on to that by doing loops around my home town before setting out on one of my standard routes (but in reverse), only to find halfway round that one of my usual cut-throughs had been closed off by a security gate with cameras and a numeric keypad for entry.

Now to be fair, I believe the road in question (which cuts through a country estate) was always officially private, but they've never closed the gates before, or have at least left a side gate open for walkers and cyclists. A real disappointment because there's a lovely little climb at the end of it and now it looks (especially from the signage) that this will no longer be an option.

What it did mean for today was that I had to take a ten mile detour, which pushed me into metric century territory for only the second time this year. Now yes, I could have used these extra miles as an excuse to cut back the later part of my route short to bring me back towards my initial planned distance, but I felt that as the weather was good for November and my legs didn't feel too bad, why shouldn't I take advantage of that?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The new lockdown came along just at the wrong moment when I'd already planned round the forecast weather window.:dry: Since outdoor exercise is still allowed (nay, encouraged) and no limits have been imposed I got out yesterday to complete ride number 12 while that situation lasts. Route planned to stay fairly local (I thought 12 miles radius was fair), to avoid as many towns as possible and to not cross the border. Obviously it was a solitary ride and since I don't generally organise my big rides around cafe stops anyway the fact they are closed wasn't a problem.

It was pretty good weather-wise and I got on reasonably well. 107.9 miles at 12.2 mph average and the write up is here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6189927

steverob

Veteran
2020 Lunacy Challenge completed!

Well, completed for now anyway - I know the ethos of this challenge means it isn't ever actually completed until the 31st December, as you can carry on riding and make your 13th longest ride longer yet. And as I only need two more rides to up it from 50 miles to 51, I thought I might as well try (a further three on top of that to get to 52 might be a bit too far).

As for the ride itself, I'd set myself a route to do on Thursday that took me out to a particular road in Oxfordshire that I love riding along, but due to circumstances I didn't get time to go out and do it. Come today I intended on revisiting that route, but as the wind conditions had changed massively in the last two days, the original would have left me with a horrendous headwind for the last 15 miles, so I had to make a few revisions first thing this morning. But I got it done and thoroughly enjoyed myself as part of it.

OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
2020 Lunacy Challenge completed!
Well done! (And to everybody else who stuck 2 fingers up to coronavirus and carried on regardless.)

I'm already looking ahead to next year, and (hopefully?) some long non-coronavirus-threatened forum rides. I'd rather not fail this challenge for the 3rd year on the trot!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got my thirteenth ride done yesterday.:wahhey: Mostly the same as the lockdown route I came up with for the last ride but with some variations for a bit of a change of scene. 109.21 miles which makes it my longest ride of the year. Started off well but I could feel the strain as I went round.

The ride write up is here for those who like them: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6207041 ^_^

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
One more ride to go!

Bit longer in terms of distance than I'd anticipated - original plan was only just over 50 miles; then added a few on to that by doing loops around my home town before setting out on one of my standard routes (but in reverse), only to find halfway round that one of my usual cut-throughs had been closed off by a security gate with cameras and a numeric keypad for entry.

Now to be fair, I believe the road in question (which cuts through a country estate) was always officially private, but they've never closed the gates before, or have at least left a side gate open for walkers and cyclists. A real disappointment because there's a lovely little climb at the end of it and now it looks (especially from the signage) that this will no longer be an option.

What it did mean for today was that I had to take a ten mile detour, which pushed me into metric century territory for only the second time this year. Now yes, I could have used these extra miles as an excuse to cut back the later part of my route short to bring me back towards my initial planned distance, but I felt that as the weather was good for November and my legs didn't feel too bad, why shouldn't I take advantage of that?
Might be worth checking on PROW or other Right of Way maps.

steverob

Veteran
Might be worth checking on PROW or other Right of Way maps.
I had already checked that out and it looks like there was never any official public right of way over the road section, it was just never enforced. There is a public footpath that bypasses the gated part of the road (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/136077981) but that is basically across a muddy field in winter and even on a dry summer's day would not be passable on a road bike (plus you would have to lift your bike over a stile at both ends).

Top Bottom