TdF 2019 positives and negatives!

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by rich p, 28 Jul 2019.

1. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Positives...
    Bernal at only 22
    Thomas for his graciousness even it was hard to bear
    Dylan Van Barle
    Julian Alaphilippe
    Thibaut Peanut
    The parcours
    Caleb Ewan
    Sagan for being a beast

Negatives...

Bardet, Porte, Mollema, Porte, Quintana, Porte, Landa, Porte, Martin D,
    Movistar's unfathomable tactics
    The last 2 days weather
    Twats booing Geraint
    Lack of panache from Kruijswijk and Buchman

StuAff and Adam4868 like this.
  2. Crackle

Crackle ..

I think all the people persuaded to invest in their own funeral plan would have been better off saving for a Viking River Cruise or rescuing Manu or one of his mates.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

Positives
    Full live coverage on ITV so I only have to put up with CK during the ad breaks
    Full cognisnace of Viking River Cruises, Funeral Plans, Eqity Release schemes etc
    JA making fun of President Macron
    Thomas de Gendt's twitter feed where he posts that evening's food

Negatives
    Sean Kelly's dyed hair
    Me keeping on picking Viviani for the fantasy games, despite all evidence to suggest I shouldn't
    Thibot Pinot's fragile body
    Never heard "dish of the day", has that feature stopped?
    Steve Cummings, I would have been about as effective as a pro cyclist

Illaveago and heathenking like this.
  4. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

At least we avoided the Watchfinder General this year

MichaelW2, Crackle and iandg like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Adam has just reminded me that his namesake A Yates had a stinker

Adam4868 likes this.
  6. Crackle

Crackle ..

The pointlessness of Di Data continues except as a retirement plan for formerly great riders. A kind of Chinese league for cyclists. Yates A, did indeed have a stinker. George Bennets inexplicable trip back to the cars just as the race was splitting into echelons but for that, the last week might have been quite different. Fuglsang making history as a Criterium winner who did nothing in the Tour.

I thought the bonus seconds on the penultimate climb were interesting. I think Van Aert is a future sensation who could challenge Sagan or even win the thing and I think we're seeing a changing of the guard in that respect. Mollema, Uran, Porte and a number of others looked to be fading. I though the onboard camera footage was the best ever this year. Some of the Velon highlights on Twitter were ace.

7. Slick

Slick Veteran

The only real negative for me was the weather over the past 2 days and the change of route. Would it have made a difference, probably not but the timing couldn't have been worse.

Illaveago likes this.
  8. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

Yep, that was the biggest positive for me too.

9. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I was pretty impressed by Movistar's ingenious "Let's chase Quintana's great escape down to stop other teams doing it" plan!

I am amazed that nobody else noticed that Mitchelton-Scott kept swapping the Yates brothers' race numbers between stages... Do you actually believe that one brother was really good for the whole TdF, and the other was really bad? They were simply taking it in turns having extra rest days! :laugh:

Last edited: 28 Jul 2019
  10. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

A negative for Cav not having the chance this year, sadly.

11. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I would agree with most of what's been said already. I'm going to add the stage wins from S. Yates, Quintana, Van Aert and De Gendt as highlights.

As far as Dimension Data goes, I really wish they'd get back to their original mission of promoting African riders. I'd have much more respect for them as a genuine African team, rather than simply a team associated with an African charity. And the riders are still out there. DD is now letting them and African cycling down.

smutchin and rich p like this.
  12. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

POSITIVES.
    Bernal but I knew that anyway,and Geraint !
    Allaphillipe..nuff said
    Van Barle,De plus and Asgreen for services for their leaders.
    (Feel mean putting Thomas in the above)
    Pinot for being nearly there.
    Bardet for coming back from the dead
    Not forgetting Mike Woods who finished the Tour in admirable style with two broken ribs.(even though I had money on him at 300/1 to finish on the podium !)
    NEGATIVES....
    Not much,I didn't enjoy really...mmm
    Go on then Movistar tactics were shite.

rich p likes this.
  13. dragon72

dragon72 Guru

+: Mother nature - what with the crosswinds and the mudslides, it added to the surprise and drama.
    Julian Alaphilippe's TT
    -: The needless expulsion of Rowe/Tony Martin.
    Fewer and less funny tweets from @ukcyclingexpert than usual

14. CarlP

CarlP La-Dee-Rhum-Buckedee-Ni-Ni-Nooo

This a bit OT, but did I see a crash where a bike had broken in half?

I’ve enjoyed the whole tour, no negatives for me, I just love the whole excitement, frustration and danger of it all.

15. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

Best tour for ages, I watched it all on itv 4 so didn't hear nob ed kirbys irritating voice once^_^

Adam4868 and rich p like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice