Sainsbury to stop selling fireworks

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Good news, and it is about time that fireworks were restricted to organised displays only.

We've had fireworks going off randomly round here for a couple of weeks already and every time it happens the dog gets stressed for ages afterwards.

Flakey

Regular
When I was a kid, we let off fireworks in the run up to Guy Fawkes night that had been "acquired" for us, illegally, by older siblings/friends etc. I think the main difference is that about 45 years ago the fireworks were feeble compared to the bleedin' mortar shells that they seem to get these days. Our fireworks just went with a "pop" or a "fizz" - nowadays they rattle the windows :eek:. Also, if I remember correctly, "back in the day" you couldn't get a firework for love nor money a fortnight before Guy Fawkes, or a day after. Nowadays they seem to be on sale for an awfully long time (I've even seen one store advertise them in the run up to New Year). Anyway. It makes me sound like an old "hypocrite" (I had my fun - you can't have yours) but I support the ban.

OP
meta lon

meta lon

Guru
When I was a kid, we let off fireworks in the run up to Guy Fawkes night that had been "acquired" for us, illegally, by older siblings/friends etc. I think the main difference is that about 45 years ago the fireworks were feeble compared to the bleedin' mortar shells that they seem to get these days. Our fireworks just went with a "pop" or a "fizz" - nowadays they rattle the windows :eek:. Also, if I remember correctly, "back in the day" you couldn't get a firework for love nor money a fortnight before Guy Fawkes, or a day after. Nowadays they seem to be on sale for an awfully long time (I've even seen one store advertise them in the run up to New Year). Anyway. It makes me sound like an old "hypocrite" (I had my fun - you can't have yours) but I support the ban.

Exactly, Chinese illegal imported stuff that can blow your arm off..
That will be harder to stop.
More regulations on selling to syamp that out.

Smudge

Über Member
Hopefully other supermarkets will follow suit.
Having a few fireworks already round my way, as we're coming up to Halloween. Then it will carry on til Nov 5, and past it, then through to new years and past that for a while.
Firework season is now around 3 months, with the odd nights for birthdays, parties etc throughout the rest of the year.
When my dog was younger it didn't seem to bother him so much, but as he's got older its become more and more distressing for him.

Jody

Veteran
Also, if I remember correctly, "back in the day" you couldn't get a firework for love nor money a fortnight before Guy Fawkes, or a day after. Nowadays they seem to be on sale for an awfully long time
Back in the day it used to start in August. Now the sales are restricted to ".....certain holidays throughout the year including Chinese New Year, the three days before New Year’s Eve, the three days before Diwali and from 15 October to 10 November for Guy Fawkes Night"

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They're causing havoc in our warehouse... it's small enough as it is. Now there's four steel boxes containing the explosives with a one meter exclusion zone around them taking up space we cannot spare.:thumbsdown:

stowie

Guru
Exactly, Chinese illegal imported stuff that can blow your arm off..
That will be harder to stop.
More regulations on selling to syamp that out.
Slightly pedantic point.

If the stuff of concern is illegally imported, more regulations won't help, it needs existing regulations enforced.

Otherwise I largely agree with your OP. I find it bizarre that we seem to sell such dangerous items for private use. I hated having private fireworks even as a kid. These days I wouldn't dream of having my own fireworks in the house any more than storing jerry cans of petrol in the front room.

I don't think it has got worse though. In my childhood in the late 80's this time of year was awash with local and national stories about children who had been blinded or maimed or worse by mucking about with fireworks. A local underpass used to be treacherous this time of year as it was used by school kids to set of rockets and see them bounce off the walls, ceiling, vehicles etc.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Whilst I think it a pity if the state has to ban something that is mostly good fun, as I was nearly blinded by a fireword when very young the fun is too high a price to pay. It's not exactly rocket science (sorry) to arrange displays that eliminate risk as far as humanly possible, and where you go at your own risk.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whilst I think it a pity if the state has to ban something that is mostly good fun, as I was nearly blinded by a fireword when very young the fun is too high a price to pay. It's not exactly rocket science (sorry) to arrange displays that eliminate risk as far as humanly possible, and where you go at your own risk.
It's less fun than letting off your own fireworks though, with all (?) the danger that that entails. I just found a packet of French bangers under the stairs. Maybe they came from a former French colony in the Far East where they know about these things.

OP
meta lon

meta lon

Guru
Slightly pedantic point.

If the stuff of concern is illegally imported, more regulations won't help, it needs existing regulations enforced.

Otherwise I largely agree with your OP. I find it bizarre that we seem to sell such dangerous items for private use. I hated having private fireworks even as a kid. These days I wouldn't dream of having my own fireworks in the house any more than storing jerry cans of petrol in the front room.

I don't think it has got worse though. In my childhood in the late 80's this time of year was awash with local and national stories about children who had been blinded or maimed or worse by mucking about with fireworks. A local underpass used to be treacherous this time of year as it was used by school kids to set of rockets and see them bounce off the walls, ceiling, vehicles etc.

Well yes i agree, but my idea of stopping the selling or importing dangerous explosives would be prison sentences, and very long ones, 5 yrs minimum.

When i was a kid we were pretty bad with bangers and rockets but we didn't behave like we're seeing now.

The filming on phones of fireworks being fired into a crowd or at buildings ect.
The campus at Northampton uni last year for a very good example of moronic behaviour is the perfect example of why we need to bring firework sales to an end.

I'm not sure why we feel the need to celebrate a failed bomb plot these days.
Maybe it's time to move on.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
According to my boss... Sainsbury's got 'done' last year regarding their fireworks sales, apparently it's not a case of them deciding to stop selling fireworks, they're not allowed to. ...I can't find any online evidence of this though, but i wouldn't put past them to spin the truth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom