Reporting mobile use while driving

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Twenty Inch, 4 Mar 2010.

1. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

Thanks - that's very helpful and I think it chimes with what I am given to understand. The dashcam review officers are not of the same mind as the decision making officers.

Drago likes this.
  2. Arjimlad

Got another "seeking to prosecute" outcome but this one came with a crime reference number. Very clear footage of interaction with the phone in a moving car.

They are sending a NIP to have the driver identified.

DN07 OXS.jpg

Last edited: 9 Jul 2019
    derrick, Drago, RoadRider400 and 3 others like this.
  3. RoadRider400

RoadRider400 Well-Known Member

Great work mate.
    How do the drivers react to this? Do you tell them that you are going for prosecutions?
    I presume you need to get a photo of number plate too?
    Wouldnt it be great if this was rolled out as a national scheme whereby cyclists and pedestrians can submit such videos and the drivers get heavily punished and fast tracked to court with minimal input from the police. High fines could then offset any admin costs of the court.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
    Arjimlad likes this.
  4. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Ha ha, brilliant! They should give you a job doing nothing but that. In fact, employing a single copper to ride about in plain clothes doing nothing but that would be white cost effective if they're serious about casualty reduction.

Arjimlad likes this.
  5. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

A self funding post, target them with 20 kills a day, have to have photo of driver with phone in hand along with registration plate, 20 x £200 = £4,000 a day, 5 days a week £20,000, 46 weeks a year (taking into account 6 weeks holiday) = £920,000 a year. I'd take that on a 10% margin as self employed.

Bianchi boy, Drago and Arjimlad like this.
  6. Arjimlad

I spotted her doing this as I emerged from a side road. Drawing up behind the car gave me a clear shot of the number plate.

I asked if she needed a little official encouragement to put the phone away whilst driving, she said no thanks, she was fine, and carried on. I asked if she thought she could be safely trusted with a phone and a car at the same time and she said yes and carried on. I explained how it was hazardous for people like me and she wound up her window and carried on. So I uploaded the footage.

Last time I had a conversation the bloke was very apologetic and put the phone away (not just down) immediately. So I didn't report him.

The Met seem very ready to use footage like this to send out some sort of fixed penalty with six points & £200 fine. Avon & Somerset seem a bit less bullish about it.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
    Drago, Blue Hills and RoadRider400 like this.
  7. Arjimlad

Just in one square mile I could probably catch more than ten per day doing this, without too much trouble.

Drago likes this.
  8. RoadRider400

RoadRider400 Well-Known Member

Oh to be a fly on the wall then the paperwork arrives through her door. No doubt she is totally oblivous right now.
    What camera are you using by the way? I have been thinking about getting one for a while but need it good enough to clearly pick up number plates.
    :biggrin:

Arjimlad likes this.
  9. Arjimlad

I have a Drift Stealth 2 - the modern equivalent (with better battery) is a Ghost X. It has to be on the helmet to catch these images.

It's on the side of the helmet on a self-adhesive mount rather than on the front, so hoping if I come off it'll be brushed off rather than forced into my bonce.

RoadRider400 likes this.
  10. Arjimlad

R40 ECW.png

Just past my street, school run time, school run Mum tapping away whilst driving behind a kid on a bike. Reported.

11. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Ha! An Audi again!

Mrs D drove me back from Kent yesterday, leaving me free to observe those around us. One guy driving like a tool, weaving in and out of lanes on the M25, and as we drew closer I could see he was playing with his phone...

What is it that makes people so psychologically weak that they can't go a whole car journey without checking Twitbook or their text messages? Some kind of psychometric screening as part of the driving test would make the world a safer place.

Keep up the good work Mr Lad.

Arjimlad and Blue Hills like this.
  12. Arjimlad

We are plagued with them, but I think I should report where possible as they are more likely to crash than the rest.

After all, the police will at least send a warning on most of the reports I send in so here's hoping it will do some good.
    WX13 WOY.png

Drago likes this.
  13. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

The irony is that half these cars have hands free built in, so there's no excuse even when talking. Even my 15 year old Smart has hands free.

gavroche and Arjimlad like this.
  14. Arjimlad

Footage not clear enough for any further action unfortunately.

15. Arjimlad

The dashcam officers are seeking to prosecute this phone addict I reported last week. The obviously consider the footage clear enough.
    WX13 WOY.png

Blue Hills and Drago like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice