Pannier Bag Recommendation......

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Zanelad, 3 May 2019.

1. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Handy tip: Regardless of how waterproof a product claims to be, it's always a good idea to put your things inside a plastic bag inside the pannier.

mjr and Pale Rider like this.
  2. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

I presume you can't buy the slide to fit to another rack, as I've only just bought a new rack :smile:

3. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

It took me several wet rides to discover my stuff was getting wet from water thrown up by the wheel.

The clue was the contents were only ever wet at the bottom.

Lining the budget pannier with a 10p plastic bag is a cheaper solution than £80 Ortleibs.

Moodyman and glasgowcyclist like this.
  4. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Not as far as I know

5. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

I also carry a second bag to put soggy clothes in, keep them separate from my dry stuff.

6. furball

furball Veteran

I've always done this. An extra advantage of using a light coloured inner bag is it makes it easier to see and find things in a packed pannier.

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Zanelad

Zanelad Über Member

Having used the Decathlon messenger bag for a couple of weeks now, I'm very pleased with it. Easy to fit and nice and secure on the rack. Plenty big enough for a couple of shirts, pants and socks ( i keep trousers and shoes at the office). A couple of inner tubes, and associated bits and bobs for punctures. Still room for lunch and anything else I need to take to work. . It looks good on the bike and seems well made. Not tested how waterproof it is yet, but I'm sure it won't be that long until nature puts it to the test.

8. recumbentpanda

recumbentpanda Über Member

Many many years ago (20?) my wife bought a pair of Oxford panniers. They were astonishingly cheap, very fully featured, including pull out rain covers in a concealed pocket, and have proved to be utterly bomb proof. She is still using them today and for heavy loads. I bought Ortliebs. No complaints, but I think she got the better bargain!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice