One small step for a woman

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
It seems the point has been missed, AFAIK it wasnt a deliberate effort to get an all women space walk. Its just the first time it has happened.

This made it noteworthy, all male teams being nothing special.

One day (hopefully) events like this will happen and it will not be news, it will be the norm.

mudsticks

Über Member
It seems the point has been missed, AFAIK it wasnt a deliberate effort to get an all women space walk. Its just the first time it has happened.

This made it noteworthy, all male teams being nothing special.

One day (hopefully) events like this will happen and it will not be news, it will be the norm.
I agree in principal, this kind of occurance should have been so common as to be unworthy of particular note, years ago.

But perception, often lags behind reality.
And perceptions are changed by stories.

So it's probs worth reporting, now and then, until things are more balanced.

Whilst I agree with much of the above posts I still wonder about one thing. There are already female astronauts and flight engineers, all presumably doing their jobs very well (or they wouldn't be doing them) - so why is it necessary for them to prove it? The very fact that they are working alongside the men surely means they are already equal? So is it just about perception? Are there still people who think they can't do their jobs as well as men? If this was the case these women wouldn't be in such important jobs, would they?

Personally I feel mixed crews and technical people is what we should be seeing. Maybe we will after this 'all women' effort (which I have no reason to think will be anything other than a success).
Depends if you think women doing their job are proving something abd not doing their job. If you think 2 astronauts doing something incredibly technical after years of dedication and training are doing it to prove something to some mouth breathers back on earth then I would suggest you are mistaken. They are doing it because they are incredible people doing incredible things.

I find it utterly depressing the idea that after all the years of selection, dedication and training they went through, at some point when 2 of them happen to be the ones best suited to perform the task, people would suggest they were only chosen because of their tits and everything they did before that is irrelevant.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Depends if you think women doing their job are proving something abd not doing their job. If you think 2 astronauts doing something incredibly technical after years of dedication and training are doing it to prove something to some mouth breathers back on earth then I would suggest you are mistaken. They are doing it because they are incredible people doing incredible things.
Which is pretty much what I said. They are already doing the job and doing it well. I didn't say THEY were doing it to prove anything because they don't need to. We are in agreement I think.

There really is no need for these endeavours to be all male OR all female IMHO. Just let the best people for the job DO their jobs.

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

We remember
That's exactly what happened.
Very rarely do jobs, including astronauts/scientists, need, or get, the best people.

They just need suitable people, and in this case it was four women.

byegad

Legendary Member
Why is this even news?

Could it be because so many of my co-XY humans are discriminating against those with XX chromosomes?

Shirley not!

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom