One small step for a woman

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Is there any particular benefit in having an all female space walk then? Only several women have done walks before, so what's the big deal? Is it just to prove they don't need men? There's a lot of that going about...

mudsticks

Über Member
Is there any particular benefit in having an all female space walk then? Only several women have done walks before, so what's the big deal? Is it just to prove they don't need men? There's a lot of that going about...
Well no one would notice or remark if it was all men, that would just be seen as 'standard practice' .

So I guess it is symbolically useful at least, to have all women teams sometimes too.

Just to show that it is perfectly possible. That it's not necessary to have a guy along, to direct operations, or whatever.

If all women teams becomes routine, and then hopefully before too long, totally unremarkable, we are perhaps more likely to see greater numbers of women going into STEM professions without hesitation, and being retained there, its much easier to be it if you see it.

If you feel the culture of a place includes people like you.

It might also do away with some of that 'blokey ground crew' culture that someone mentioned above, which many women find dispiriting. .

Then we will have a greater, and more diverse pool of talent, ability, and creative thinking to draw from.

And then everyone gets a truly fair chance at a career that suits them, and for which they are suited, regardless of gender.

Or perhaps it wasn’t designed to be an all woman walk but simply the best two to do the job and they happened to be women.

Sometimes the people best suited happen to be women. The fact they are chosen and it makes news shows just how pathetic some people are. The sad thing is that these incredibly capable astronauts are now depicted as chosen to prove a political point and diminishing their achievements as being chosen on their ability.

Last edited:
OP
winjim

winjim

Iron pony
It's an important milestone on the journey to equality. It's not really designed to be an all female spacewalk, it's just a spacewalk where all the astronauts (and flight directors) happen to be women.

Reactions: C R
It's an important milestone on the journey to equality. It's not really designed to be an all female spacewalk, it's just a spacewalk where all the astronauts (and flight directors) happen to be women.
It’s almost worth people not saying anything for the first 3 or 4 times then publicise it. When the mouth breathers then claim it is a political stunt they can point out it’s been done a number of times before but they now feel it’s worth stating it’s standard procedure and it would be even more of an inspiration.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yeah, but could a woman do this?

View: https://youtu.be/KaOC9danxNo

BTW, for the avoidance of any doubt, I am fully aware that a woman would be more than capable of doing this, I just wanted to indulge myself for 5 minutes with what is possibly the greatest and coolest video ever made.

Last edited:
OP
winjim

winjim

Iron pony
Yeah, but could a woman do this?

View: https://youtu.be/KaOC9danxNo

BTW, for the avoidance of any doubt, I am fully that a woman would be more than capable of doing this, I just wanting to indulge myself for 5 minutes with what is possibly the greatest and coolest video ever made.
Well I think there's probably sexism inherent in guitar design due to the size of the fretboard and women having smaller hands, but that doesn't look like a full size instrument so it's probably fine.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well I think there's probably sexism inherent in guitar design due to the size of the fretboard and women having smaller hands, but that doesn't look like a full size instrument so it's probably fine.
It not being a full size guitar is clear evidence that this is not a real space station flying round a real planet but all a NASA hoax.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Whilst I agree with much of the above posts I still wonder about one thing. There are already female astronauts and flight engineers, all presumably doing their jobs very well (or they wouldn't be doing them) - so why is it necessary for them to prove it? The very fact that they are working alongside the men surely means they are already equal? So is it just about perception? Are there still people who think they can't do their jobs as well as men? If this was the case these women wouldn't be in such important jobs, would they?

Personally I feel mixed crews and technical people is what we should be seeing. Maybe we will after this 'all women' effort (which I have no reason to think will be anything other than a success).

OP
winjim

winjim

Iron pony
Whilst I agree with much of the above posts I still wonder about one thing. There are already female astronauts and flight engineers, all presumably doing their jobs very well (or they wouldn't be doing them) - so why is it necessary for them to prove it? The very fact that they are working alongside the men surely means they are already equal? So is it just about perception? Are there still people who think they can't do their jobs as well as men? If this was the case these women wouldn't be in such important jobs, would they?

Personally I feel mixed crews and technical people is what we should be seeing. Maybe we will after this 'all women' effort (which I have no reason to think will be anything other than a success).
They're not proving anything, they are just doing their jobs. And this 'all women' effort has already failed to be a success, in one way.

Top Bottom