No deal Brexit. Can someone explain in SIMPLE terms please.

theclaud

It's teeceegawnmaaaad
I have mild rosacea which at times makes my face look red. That would also be the case for people with high blood pressure. I cannot argue with being called a white, elderly privileged male, because that is to some extent true. I would strongly object to being called a Gammon because of a medical complaint I have no control over.

It is a stupid, meaningless, often hurtful, pejorative term that could be applied to right, left, racists and non-racists. As I have pointed out several times it could also be applied to Corbyn, McDonnell or McCluskey when they are involved in heated debates.

Or I suppose I could just get over it because it doesn't apply to me...or does it? :blush:
Has anyone ever called you a gammon though? Because I can assure you that there's nothing hypothetical about the use of epithets against actual disadvantaged or oppressed groups. It's much more to do with bellicosity than with skin tone. Actually I try not to use the term, because I think it's unhelpful, but the original 'Wall of Gammon' tweet was genius, and if anyone richly deserves the term, it is François. Yes I know he doesn't use the cedilla, but then he is both a blithering idiot and a xenophobe, so it pleases me.

Phaeton

Guru
Wrong answer as well you know

Rusty Nails

We remember
Has anyone ever called you a gammon though? Because I can assure you that there's nothing hypothetical about the use of epithets against actual disadvantaged or oppressed groups. It's much more to do with bellicosity than with skin tone. Actually I try not to use the term, because I think it's unhelpful, but the original 'Wall of Gammon' tweet was genius, and if anyone richly deserves the term, it is François. Yes I know he doesn't use the cedilla, but then he is both a blithering idiot and a xenophobe, so it pleases me.
Not yet, but give it time. I am not oppressed but in this on-line age it will soon be used as a general pejorative epithet for elderly people no matter what their political leanings are.

The wall of gammon was superficially amusing, if it reflects one's prejudices, but it was no doubt Photoshop tinted for exaggeration, like the Newsnight picture of Corbyn in front of the Kremlin. I suspect if you showed a montage of elderly people arguing at an anti-nuclear or climate change demonstration it would look very similar.

I am aware that the argument about epithets against disadvantaged/oppressed groups is not hypothetical, but it is nevertheless a straw man in this particular case.

Insulting a group of people for their skin tone (for that is what gammon is about...raised colour when angry) is pretty pathetic when that colouration is typical of many men and women, of all ages, but mostly elderly, including those, like me, of a saintly disposition. :angel:

Rant over. I will now get over myself, and think up less pathetic, meaningless insults to describe Francois. Blithering idiot and xenophobe are a good start.

Top Bottom