New Scottish Transport bill.

Brandane

Fair weather cyclist.
BBC News link.
The new law aims to ban double parking, parking on pavements; create low emission zone charges, and charging for some workplace parking.
I hope all local councils take up the option to enforce the regulations, and enforce them properly!

Edit... Link at top of post appears to be blocked, just wondering why?
(It was copied from my phone; now corrected with laptop).

Last edited:
I can't understand though why they didn't take the opportunity to close the cycle lane parking loophole :wacko:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The ban on pavement parking sounded good but they’ve sabotaged it by introducing a 20 minute(!) exemption for ‘loading’. Honestly, what’s the point?

It’s just a big fat fark you to the disabled, the visually-impaired and pedestrians in general.

The people who pushed that through should be ashamed of themselves.

snorri

Legendary Member
The ban on pavement parking sounded good but they’ve sabotaged it by introducing a 20 minute(!) exemption for ‘loading’. Honestly, what’s the point?It’s just a big fat fark you to the disabled, the visually-impaired and pedestrians in general.The people who pushed that through should be ashamed of themselves.
I can understand your displeasure re the 20 minute loading, although it is not an issue in my locality, but don't understand your other comments. Would you like to clarify?

Diogenes

brr, summer's over
I can understand your displeasure re the 20 minute loading, although it is not an issue in my locality, but don't understand your other comments. Would you like to clarify?
My wife is in a power wheelchair and values the independence it gives her. When going out, it can take her 2-3 hours to get ready for the 2 mile trip into Stirling town centre. Can you imagine how it feels to go to all that bother then, halfway to the destination, someone has parked on the pavement making getting past impossible? The roads are very busy and scary for a wheelchair whilst a shortage of dropped kerbs make re-routing often virtually impossible. The last time it happened she just turned around and came home in tears, hours wasted and her confidence in getting around shattered, meaning she's less likely to try going out herself again.

All because some selfish bastard parked on a pavement.

At least the wheelie bins can be pushed out of the way - or more often, moved by a helpful pedestrian or passing motorist.

OP
Brandane

Brandane

Fair weather cyclist.
The ban on pavement parking sounded good but they’ve sabotaged it by introducing a 20 minute(!) exemption for ‘loading’. Honestly, what’s the point?

It’s just a big fat fark you to the disabled, the visually-impaired and pedestrians in general.

Yes it is the usual half baked legislation with a number of ifs, buts, and maybes; but at least it's something.
From the BBC report, these are some of the aforesaid ifs, buts, and maybes....

• parking on the pavement is prohibited, subject to a number of exemptions
  • double parking is prohibited, subject to a number of exemptions
  • local authorities can exempt certain streets/part of streets
  • a system will be created for local authorities to enforce the pavement parking and double parking prohibitions
  • vehicles will be moved, removed and eventually disposed of, subject to a number of safeguards.
I believe that, for example, it will depend on the width of the road and footpath whether parking on the footpath will be allowed or not. It will probably be unenforceable, and councils will need to find the money to employ wardens to do the enforcing. Can't see that happening any time soon in the area where I live. They can't even employ Police or Traffic Wardens to enforce the current legislation on Road Traffic matters.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It seems rather obvious to me that the effect of this 20 minute get-out clause means that the situation will not change and our footways will continue to be blocked as before. Those most adversely affected will be just as impeded, their safety and their quality of life diminished through the selfishness of car drivers.

There was an attempt to block this exemption but it was pushed through by those who refused to acknowledge the difficulties this causes for the people I mentioned.

I note that @Diogenes has given you a clear example of the need for a prohibition on pavement parking and there is another at this link with an explanatory video from a woman who uses a guide dog.

Diogenes

brr, summer's over
Just back from Spain where they have guys running around in little towing pick-ups. They're on commission and if they see a car illegally parked, they tow it. No ifs or buts, no standing around waiting, within 10 minutes of spotting the offender it's hooked up and away. It costs 150 Euros to get it out of the pound and 20 Euros a day storage fees. The one I spoke to says he does between 10-20 cars a day.

The problems can be solved if there's the political will. We've just seen that there's not enough of that in Scotland.

Just back from Spain where they have guys running around in little towing pick-ups. They're on commission and if they see a car illegally parked, they tow it. No ifs or buts, no standing around waiting, within 10 minutes of spotting the offender it's hooked up and away. It costs 150 Euros to get it out of the pound and 20 Euros a day storage fees. The one I spoke to says he does between 10-20 cars a day.

The problems can be solved if there's the political will. We've just seen that there's not enough of that in Scotland.
When I lived in Edinburgh I'd often see cars getting lifted, so they can do it but as you say 'political will' :-/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When I lived in Edinburgh I'd often see cars getting lifted, so they can do it but as you say 'political will' :-/
They use CCTV cars and bikes, don't they? So they get spotted as illegally parked on a drive-by and if they're still there when the tow truck arrives, bye bye car!

South of the border, https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/20/section/53/enacted gave Mr Pickles and his successors the power to make a regulation banning use of CCTV cars (called "spy cars" in Cameron government PR like https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-bans-use-of-cctv-spy-cars-for-on-street-parking ) but I'm not sure whether they ever did - does anyone know?

They did make a regulation requiring tickets to be stuck on the parked car to stop councils just sending offenders camera-generated tickets in the post, though. So that needs repealing IMO as well as pavement parking in general banning.

snorri

Legendary Member
It looks as if I have misunderstood your post, the two lines quoted confused me.
I'm well aware of the problems caused by pavement parking, I've been diverting on to the road every time I leave my house since the 7th of June due to a vehicle blocking a pavement close to my home.

Be fair, it's taken them this long to stop people parking on pavements, give them time.

It's not like we have a climate emergency or anything to worry about.
Im not a fan of bike lanes myself but I understand the importance of them in encouraging new users. To do that properly they've got to be clear and continuous attraction to make them attractive to these folk. Encouraging folk to transfer to a more sustainable mode will help address this climate emergency. Is that what you are getting at ? :okay:

Grendel

Veteran

I disagree. There clearly is political will but it's a case of how much can they push without a majority. With Labour employing the Bain principle it's hard to make any progress in many areas. Their opposition to the Workplace Parking Levy is a case in point. They demanded that power in the past, now that it exists the claim it's the SNP car poll tax. Meanwhile in England the levy is law and has been introduced by only one local authority- Labour run Nottingham.
So long as this state of affairs continues then progress and improvement will be done at a glacial pace.

Top Bottom