My first major 'off'. Hit and run. Doncaster.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by BlackPanther, 2 Jul 2019.

1. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

There's no such thing as a free lunch, but if I understand this right this is about as close you get to it, each car driver pays into this fund for exactly this reason, we all have to pay a % of our premium. It is you right to claim.

classic33 and alicat like this.
  2. Brains

Brains Guru

That wing mirror:
    Get hold of it, or a detailed picture of it

A lot of wing mirrors are colour coordinated.
    They also change on a regular basis
    An experienced Ford parts department would be able to tell you the year, give or take, plus possibly the exact colour of the car.

It would be worth going to the local Ford dealers and asking for the details of anyone that orders a replacement.

classic33 likes this.
  3. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

@BlackPanther, you'll have been given a head injury "watch for" list, before you left. Take heed of the advice given in it and don't hesitate in getting yourself seen should you need to.

I'll hazard a guess that all those, myself included, are only passing on what we learnt. We "learnt through experience". If that can help some else at a later date, why not let them know?

Have a gander at Accident Advice.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2019
    dave r likes this.
  4. alicat

alicat Legendary Member

If you don't already have access to free legal advice, you can join Cycling UK and get retrospective free legal advice to help you make a claim.

5. RoadRider400

RoadRider400 Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Go for prosecution and a payout as they failed to stop. Absolute scum people like that.
    Do keep us updated.

6. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Even if you feel OK tomorrow, personally I would still pursue a claim. Reasons have already been given up the thread, but also consider the impact on your wife. Mine has now cared for broken me twice because of cycle incidents. She sees as a driver how some drivers are towards cyclists and it concerns her a lot.

tom73, C R, Drago and 1 other person like this.
  7. roubaixtuesday

roubaixtuesday Über Member

You can anticipate a four figure pay out from personal experience of very similar injuries.

Get a solicitor, claim it. You're entitled to it. Include clothes etc.

If you feel bad about it, donate to a charity.

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  8. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

@BlackPanther How you doing today? pains easing or returning?

9. OP
    OP
    BlackPanther

BlackPanther Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.

I'm off the cruthes, and even drove a bit today. As it's my left knee I didn't have to worry about braking, and I could do the clutch without any pain-just mild discomfort.

I've partially filled in the MIB claim form, but couldn't get through to the RTC department who the police have handed the investigation over to, so I'll try again on Monday as I have a few questions.

CarlP, Bazzer, glasgowcyclist and 3 others like this.
  10. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

I often ride around Askern on my training rides. It is very well known for idiot drivers. It seems to be a very nice little village mostly. We just can’t work out why they drive like doughnuts there more than the surrounding other places.
    I wish I could help you, hope they catch the cowardly scum.

11. si_c

si_c Veteran

Just seen this, glad you are not too badly injured. Hope you get some traction with tracing the driver, if nothing else so you can claim on his insurance.

Might be worth trying to get copies of the dashcam footage.

12. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Good to hear
    There used to be a large population of transient travellers in the area who believed the normal rules & laws didn't apply to them, not sure if that is still the case.

raleighnut likes this.
  13. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

Well I think it still may be the case then. It’s close pass central until you’re a few miles out.

14. OP
    OP
    BlackPanther

BlackPanther Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.

I've had a text off the PC who attended, saying they were in a pursuit of a Silver Focus on Thursday, and 2 males were arrested for various offences. Car wasn't insured and can't prove who was driving as it's driven by several people. They're waiting on the footage from dash cams.

I'm gonna try and find out more on Monday when the RTC team is open.

15. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Well some good news at least, if they aren't insured it's straight to the not insured scheme.

Milzy and raleighnut like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice