Memorials and bikes

Night time monument - same place as @uphillstruggler above.
View attachment 546320
I didn’t think to take a nighttime image when I kipped up there, nice one :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I didn’t think to take a nighttime image when I kipped up there, nice one :okay:
I live nearby and have previously done all of the monuments on your trip. The sarsen stone takes a bit of finding, it isn’t obvious - I didn’t even know it was there and came across it by accident.

I visited the memorial to Hugh Grosvenor on the anniversary of his passing this year.
1599738421882.jpeg

IaninSheffield

Veteran
A hat-trick from a trip across to Doncaster, starting with Balby Parish WWI:

Medium_IMG_2531.JPG

Followed by one at Old Edlington, which seems to have been refreshed since the original was installed in 2012. I can't seem to find the reason for the swap from the Lancaster crew memorial to this WW1 one, which seems to acknowledge the sacrifice of locals:

Medium_IMG_2536.JPG

Behind it you can see the third example, the somewhat incongruous memorial to a greyhound!

Medium_Edlington Greyhound.JPG

Nothing against dogs, but siting this tale of a hound belonging to the landed gentry alongside a memorial to those who gave their lives, seems in slightly questionable taste. Sure. there's room for both ... just perhaps not so close together?

Have a feeling that this spot might have been posted before, if not by me, but no matter, here it is again.

New Forest, memorial marking the site where for a few weeks before DDay the Canadians held open air services.

A Canadian who died in the landings. presumably this was left by a family member. Or maybe a services group.
RIP.
Respect.

<edited for typo>

Last edited:
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Smile a mile bike provider
Our tandem in front of an old mine wheel at the site of the old Point of Ayr colliery

Top Bottom