Left Hand Shifter compatibility - will Claris ST 2400 work as a replacement for Tiagra 4700?

grellboy

Über Member
Pretty much as title asks, my front derailleur shifter (i.e the left one) is beyond repair so looking to get a replacement - second hand most likely - but saw an advert for this on ebay. Described as "2 speed Claris 2400", just wondering if it would be possible to use this instead of a Tiagra 4700 lever?

bikingdad90

Veteran
You could possibly get away with an older 105 model if you just changed the shifter or look for the newer R3000/R2000 shifter and then fit a new matching front mech at the same time? I can’t see an 8 speed reach mech not accepting a 10 speed chain and as shifter and mech match the ratios should be ok.

EDIT post as bowing to Fossyants superior knowledge. Personally I wouldn’t as an internal route cable and an external cable would drive me nuts!

Last edited:
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
You could possibly get away with an older 105 model if you just changed the shifter or look for the newer R3000/R2000 shifter and then fit a new matching front mech at the same time? I can’t see an 8 speed reach mech not accepting a 10 speed chain and as shifter and mech match the ratios should be ok.

EDIT post as bowing to Fossyants superior knowledge. Personally I wouldn’t as an internal route cable and an external cable would drive me nuts!
Oh no! External cabling!! Rats! Can't have that. Looks like I'm not saving 50 quid then lol!🤑

Top Bottom