julian alaphilipe

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by cyberknight, 26 Apr 2019.

1. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Which is also the reason Dee coo Nick are unlikely to become a GC team: they just don't have the budget, so aim to play Moneyball with the classics, which Lefevre has done well for years.

If JA wants to go for GC... well, when does his contract end?

2. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

:whistle:

rich p and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

That would go down well in the Trousers household. He's my wife's favourite (after St Cav, of course)

smutchin likes this.
  4. DRM

DRM Über Member

So does the CC massive think that Allaphillipe will be getting a hand from other French riders regardless of team from now on?

5. Paulus

Paulus Started young, and still going.

He looked a broken man when getting into the team car after today's truncated stage. Shame, he has been one of the riders to illuminate this years race.

6. Dogtrousers

Last edited: 26 Jul 2019
  7. normgow

normgow Über Member

What I would love to see is for Patrick Lefevere to tell his boys to attack on the last stage to Paris and to blow the "unwritten rule" up to where it belongs. The Quick Step Team should be able to rip the field to shreds, especially if helped out by teams who have riders in the first six who would benefit. In 1947 Jean Robic won the Tour with a similar action and I think France would appreciate something similar this year.

8. DRM

DRM Über Member

I thought the same, Egan Bernal was amazing on the Col de L’Iseran, it’s definitely been an intriguing race this year, I thought surely they can’t race down that, when the cameras showed the result of the hailstorm, then the mudslide sealed it, so I think to answer my own question, no they won’t, not now, also sad to see Pinot abandoning the race too.
    It’s been a very good, impossible to guess what would happen next, race for the viewers.

Illaveago and brommers like this.
  9. DRM

DRM Über Member

I think if they did, it would be suicidal for the team, they will get shut down, at the next race if they need help, others will just destroy them when they are down.

Illaveago likes this.
  10. Dogtrousers

It would be great to see, but it would never work, so no real point.

11. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

When was the last time the last stage was competitive for GC? 1989. Fignon beaten into second. Enough said.

And, FFS, it's a sprint stage. If anyone else tried to make a serious attack, the sprint trains would shut them down faster than a TGV.

Dogtrousers, Adam4868 and Illaveago like this.
  12. Aravis

Aravis Here for the ride.

But that's not the last time the winner has been gapped and lost time to the guy in second. Sastre in 2008 is one I remember.

13. david k

david k Hi

Well my assumption was right, right up until the last two competitive stages :smile: he did crack but what an effort he put up until he cracked

And GT did better than I thought, it was a great plan from Ineos

brommers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice