"I Boris"...We Really Need to Talk About Johnson

Adam4868

Guru
Break lockdown rules....not resigning,50,000 dead nah no chance !
Mate doesn't get the job...right that's it...
Can't see him stepping down as much as I'd like it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's hard to believe he could be marketable:sad:.
You'd be surprised by how many bookers actively look for a pantomime villain, particularly if they can be surprisingly amusing with it.
My industry's UK association for example is one that relies heavily on ever closer unity of nations across borders, ease of movement, ease of trade etc. Devolution of nations into ever smaller ones is not something that does us any favours, so it was something of a surprise to go to an industry dinner and find that the speaker was Alex Salmond (albeit "pre-sex-allegations Salmond", I'm sure he's in lower demand just now). It was a surprising booking precisely because of how contrary he was to our aims, but because he spoke about our aims and was witty about it, he went down a storm.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You'd be surprised by how many bookers actively look for a pantomime villain, particularly if they can be surprisingly amusing with it.
My industry's UK association for example is one that relies heavily on ever closer unity of nations across borders, ease of movement, ease of trade etc. Devolution of nations into ever smaller ones is not something that does us any favours, so it was something of a surprise to go to an industry dinner and find that the speaker was Alex Salmond (albeit "pre-sex-allegations Salmond", I'm sure he's in lower demand just now). It was a surprising booking precisely because of how contrary he was to our aims, but because he spoke about our aims and was witty about it, he went down a storm.
Oh no they don't....

a.twiddler

I suppose it's the difference between being interested enough in your audience to do your homework, and relying on being a blagger to see you through (as per the Jeremy Vine anecdote about Boris's pre presentation speeches). To be an effective blagger you need to have a good enough memory to remember which version you have presented to which audience, or else they too will begin to ask, "is this guy for real?" This pre prepared simulated spontaneity might have worked for him when he was able to avoid scrutiny but when he has to stand up and be scrutinised he doesn't do too well.

He noticeably became hard to find as soon as he took office, after his shenanigans leading to the "Oven Ready Brexit Deal" which now appears still to need many of its ingredients, let alone an oven. Most readers of this thread will have been interested enough to sit through Prime Minister's Questions, and seen the way he embarrassingly blusters, diverts and throws out blame rather than makes a serious attempt to answer the opposition's questions, for example. Let alone the various u turns to which he has been party during the COVID-19 pandemic. He may blame others for their part in these but ultimately he is Prime Minister.

I can't help thinking that once Cummings has gone, and Brexit officially takes place on 1st Jan 2021, with or without a meaningful deal, Johnson will soon follow, leaving a new leader to try and sort out the resultant mess.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Brexit officially takes place on 1st Jan 2021
In a sense the wrong thread, but Brexit has already occurred - end of Jan this year. I have been very surprised at the number of hard Brexit devotees who don't understand this, and are still panicking that it may all be scuppered at the last minute or that a deal will essentially mean continuation of membership.

I will be interested whether Johnson might step down sometime next year. If travelling hopefully is better than arriving, and if Johnson's Brexit campaign was never ever anything other than a means to become PM, now he has got what he wanted the novelty has worn off and he might give up on it and try something new.

a.twiddler

In a sense the wrong thread, but Brexit has already occurred - end of Jan this year. I have been very surprised at the number of hard Brexit devotees who don't understand this, and are still panicking that it may all be scuppered at the last minute or that a deal will essentially mean continuation of membership.

I will be interested whether Johnson might step down sometime next year. If travelling hopefully is better than arriving, and if Johnson's Brexit campaign was never ever anything other than a means to become PM, now he has got what he wanted the novelty has worn off and he might give up on it and try something new.
Yes, my error, we did leave in January this year, but for all intents and purposes the true sad, foolish reality won't strike home until 1st January 2021. I am certainly no hard Brexit devotee, or any kind of Brexit devotee. If Johnson does quit in the new year, who or what is likely to replace him? Gove? Hunt? A candidate out of the blue? The mind boggles.

Yes, my error, we did leave in January this year, but for all intents and purposes the true sad, foolish reality won't strike home until 1st January 2021. I am certainly no hard Brexit devotee, or any kind of Brexit devotee. If Johnson does quit in the new year, who or what is likely to replace him? Gove? Hunt? A candidate out of the blue? The mind boggles.
It doesn't really matter, they'll still be Tories, and we'll still be struggling post Brexit and still struggling as a result of Covid.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I am certainly no hard Brexit devotee, or any kind of Brexit devotee. If Johnson does quit in the new year, who or what is likely to replace him? Gove? Hunt?
I realised re-reading my post it sounded a bit like I was lumping you in with die-hard Brexit thickos, which was not the intention!

I've watched Gove not answering questions in the House recently, so I don't think he would make a good PM. Too full of Brexit fantasies. Obviously I don't know the current performance of various Tory contenders for the throne, but is there anybody who would be sensible and competent, and above all willing to listen to and weigh up advice?

Top Bottom