HS2

Mike_P

Guru
Leeds to London will be around 25 minutes quicker ...I'm not exactly thinking 'wowsers'.
The issue is connectivity as a whole rather than to/from London. The improvement Leeds-Birmingham that HS2 brings is massive.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just because it doesn't go fast enough for you, or for other reasons?

If i wanted to get from A to B as quickly as possible, I wouldn't be riding a bike :rolleyes:

environmental impact and its cost. There's better things that upwards of a hundred billion could be spent on, such as improving our existing rail infrastructure, more cycle routes, inner city tram systems, etc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If i wanted to get from A to B as quickly as possible, I wouldn't be riding a bike :rolleyes:
So why all the wibble about cutting 25 minutes off the already-fairly-fast Leeds to London not being enough for you? I'm pretty confused about what you want.

environmental impact and its cost. There's better things that upwards of a hundred billion could be spent on, such as improving our existing rail infrastructure, more cycle routes, inner city tram systems, etc.
But it couldn't because those other things can't be borrowed against in the same way as one big infrastructure project, which I think is part of the HS2 picture here. OK, ultimately we have to pay it back, but canning HS2 would leave a big hole in Boris's spending plans while we save up to afford other smaller infrastructure projects. Basically, it's a way to paper over the cracks of underinvestment under various governments which just happens to be needed for London-Birmingham-Pennine capacity now.

Environmental impact is a strange reason. I know various green groups oppose it for that reason but I feel the reality on this is that if we don't build rails then we'll get more roads and air, both of which will be worse. So I'd build rails and try to minimise the damage - the daffodils who trashed that woodland on the HS2 route illegally should be slapped hard to discourage further sins.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Tell that to passengers for example trundling through West and South Yorkshire taking the best part of an hour to cover 40 odd miles.
Why? I'm talking about what HS2 means to me. Just as you're talking about what it means to you.
I don't live in Yorkshire, and even if I did, I doubt I'd be desperate to get to Brum or London super quickly.

Mike_P

Guru
Why? I'm talking about what HS2 means to me. Just as you're talking about what it means to you.
I don't live in Yorkshire, and even if I did, I doubt I'd be desperate to get to Brum or London super quickly.
Think everyone is aware of your views but most people would not want the country to become some third class nation in its rail communications compared to other countries.

HMS_Dave

Über Member
The village i live in hasn't seen a train for 60 years. There are over 5000 of us now and they are building essentially another village tapped onto ours, i would like to see a train stop by once in a while especially as HS2 will be running not 500 metres away from my house. :wacko:

classic33

Legendary Member
The unions say HS2 must use British Steel and not some cheap inferior foreign product :rolleyes:

Maybe there is some smoke and mirrors in play for the Chinese to land the gig.

Sweetener for a future trade deal perhaps?
British Steel is French owned. Sold by Tata, Indian company.