How much do you pay each year to commute by bike ?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by BADGER.BRAD, 13 Jan 2019.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Depends how many new bikes I buy :whistle:

mcshroom, mustang1 and JhnBssll like this.
  2. overmind

overmind My other bike is a Pinarello

That seems a lot (twice a year) but then I am not sure how long or taxing the commute is. Presumably, the chain stretches enough every six months to require a new drive train. I am not saying it isn't warranted but 6 months does not seem that long to wear out a chain sufficiently to require a drive train replacement. I am not saying it is not justified, I am just curious why? How often do you oil/clean/mickle the chain?

I used to change the chain regularly to try and make the cassette last longer but after a while, I concluded it was not worth it and changed strategy to just riding everything into the ground. So far I have lasted about 1.5 years but recently the chain has started slipping so I am probably at beginning of the terminal stage. I will replace the cassette and the chain but I am hopeful the chainset will still have some life in it (but in any case, I have about 4 old chainsets which I got from the Reading Bicycle Kitchen (and similar place like in this link: http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/recycling/).

3. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

It used to be around the 7,000 miles mark.

4. si_c

si_c Veteran

A couple of winters ago I was replacing a chain every 1000mi or so - approximately 6 weeks - because of the salt and muck on the road. Chain life depends a lot on the conditions and how clean you are able to keep your bike.

classic33 and overmind like this.
  5. Truth

Truth Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp

I work it out on I save £7 each time I commute on the bike in fuel (24 mile round trip and the train tickets £8.20) . I commuted 125 times last year and made a note of everything I bought relating to the bike (including the total cost of a new bike in September, £320 with cycle 2 work ,even though that will be spread over this year) in that 12 months and I was still £350 up :okay: .
    This year I would hope to save about £600 minimum, not planning on buying anything specifically for the bike but parts made need replacing and accidents do happen.......
    The main reason I commute is because as a rule I enjoy it and it incorporates my exercise time into my commute ^_^

classic33 likes this.
  6. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

If I didn't keep rescuing and restoring old bikes...

A chain
    A tyre
    A fraction of a bottle of Finish Line wet lube
    A fraction of a pair of brake pads
    A LOT of shower gel

Probably £40. Shower gel is £15 of that.

It's a fixie and the ring and sprocket are new and 1/8", so they will last until I retire.

7. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Would you not use the shower gel if you didn't commute by bike? I shower regardless

si_c likes this.
  8. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

Two showers per day instead of one! I'm only counting the stuff used at work.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

When I was doing about 4000 miles a year, I reckoned that it was costing me about 8p a mile, ignoring the capital cost of the bike. That included replacing tyres, tubes , chains, gear components and worn out clothing etc etc. The clothing was a surprisingly large part, even though none of it was fancy.

10. keithmac

keithmac Veteran

Pair of brake pads last year for me, charge it up once a week but normally at work, think it's something daft like 5p a charge!.

Probably £12 with some change!.

11. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Guest

When i last seriously commuted by bike/train/walk every working day, the cost of a monthly train pass was just under my fuel costs using the car. I didn't ever consider the costs properly as I was ahead in both fitness and time spent travelling. Sitting parked on the M8 wasn't fun.

Truth likes this.
  12. Thomson

Thomson Well-Known Member

Bought second hand bike for £200 before last winter. Sold car no tax mot insurance running costs etc. Done around 1500 miles to work and back in that year. Spend about £20 in inner tubes. And got lights as a present. Couple times I have walked to work. Only 2.89 miles away. And once I got the bus £2.70. Never again. I did use to spend £50 a week in diesel. So much happier :-).

overmind, Truth and DCLane like this.
  13. PeteXXX

PeteXXX Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

I use the bikes I already had, and try to commute one or two of the four shifts I work per week.
    I'd find it impossible to quantify the cost per annum, but every bike commute saves me 25 miles of fuel plus wear & tear on the car, but I have to add £1.70 for a meal deal and cuppa at work as I eat after the ride in rather than before.

14. mustang1

mustang1 Guru

Mmmh. Just tallied it up.
    £TooMuch.

15. Nufab

Nufab Senior Member

I bought my road bike in 2011 on the cycle to work scheme. It was £850 but probably cost me more like £600. I didnt use it on a regular basis, having had two kids since made me lazy to be honest, but I cycled to work about 75% of the time throughout 2018, with it being close to 100% since May.

At the end of 2017 I was knocked off the bike, so spent £150ish on new, much brighter lights. The rear derailleur was damaged but I had already been planning to upgrade the groupset, so I rebuilt the bike with the full 105 group. It had also had new wheels in 2017 for around £150.

Clothing wise I bought it gradually as I went along, upgrading as things wear out. Last year I bought quite a lot... new rucksack, winter tights, winter boots, thermal jersey... but now I can cycle all year round with no issues. I've just ordered a nice Gore jacket to replace the bright yellow bin-bag I usually wear!

However it saves me a lot on fuel... I cant tell you the current price of diesel, and I last bought fuel at the very start of December, and only £30 then. Also, I was paid out more in compensation for the crash in 2017 than I've ever spent on cycling, so I'm definitely up.... I wouldnt recommend that as a course of action though!

overmind and Truth like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice