How are we going to pay for it all?

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
After Jan 1st we will have an extra £350 million a day to spend.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As for spending, the money spent so far by the government on the various aspects of the covid reaponse is less than half of that which was spent on the bank bailouts. Labour were happy to spend loads of cash bailing out their wealthy chums (and in many cases, future employers) while doing nothing to ensure that those who had caused the problem paid for the mess they had left. Indon't suppose the current government will want to make big business or the hyper-wealthy pay for this either:laugh:, so the working and middle classes will get squeezed instead.
The bank bailout meant the government bought shares in the banks. They then sold the shares once the banks had recovered. Overall it was virtually cost neutral.

This time the government are giving away money with no assets to recoup.

Get rid of nuclear missiles and submarines which will never be used anyway. They are only kept to make the government look like big micks. Save lots of dosh as they are due to be replaced soon at vast expense.
I notice somewhere that there is a suggestion that those who choose to continue to work from home should pay extra tax. You could not make it up.

oldworld

The Tories usually go for cuts and austerity but only if you're already poor.
They'll do their utmost not to tax businesses, any more costs and it'll put many small companies into liquidation.
I remember as a child you could buy government saving stamps at school. This was after WW2.
The govt. could try to make saving fashionable again.

They'll do their utmost not to tax businesses, any more costs and it'll put many small companies into liquidation.
I remember as a child you could buy government saving stamps at school. This was after WW2.
They want us to spend, not save.

GetFatty

How about the people who have had to work through Covid and not be 'furloughed' do they have to 'stump up' too.
I think it’s worth bearing mind that without furlough etc the debt would probably have been worse. Companies with viable bus models have been saved from going to the wall and although the economic and retail model will need to be reworked (Costa in city centres may not be as numerous) the economy should bounce back enough without taxes causing hardship.

What is worrying is the Govt’s apparent rule by survey. Take today’s news that CGT will be increased, that’s not a policy, it’s an idea they’ve floated in the press to gauge how bad the backlash will be

Edwardoka

Prolix Maximus
I notice somewhere that there is a suggestion that those who choose to continue to work from home should pay extra tax. You could not make it up.
This suggestion was from Deutsche Bank, of all quarters.
If I was a major bank that got a huge 2008 bailout I'd maybe not make too much noise about raising income tax on others in the midst of a crisis.
I can't speak for everyone but a lot of people I know who are aware of this are looking speculatively at pictures of Monsieur Guillotin's contraption.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Surely the Brexit Bonus will cover this and more.

When is the Festival of Brexit going ahead ? Is that where Francois has been all this time - baking the mini sausage rolls ?
He’s been otherwise engaged.
voting by proxy and hasn’t spoken in the HoC since July. How very odd.

Mainstream Tory economic s - when the coffers are bare - recover the money from poor people - because poor people have all the money.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
John Major in his recent Middle Temple speech reckoned austerity had now become untenable, even for the Tories. Whether it is or not I don't know.

Maybe a tax surcharge would be in order, solidarity with those who needed to have their livelihoods saved by the government - a relatively small amount on average payable over 30 odd years ought to pay off the amount the government has spent. Lower unemployment and the continued existence of companies that would otherwise have gone to the wall will automatically mean some of the outlay will be recouped.

Top Bottom