Hello fellow athletes!! I’m New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by The happy cyclist, 14 Aug 2019.

1. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

@The happy cyclist you're too happy for on here, we are all grumpy :whistle: :laugh:
    Only kidding, welcome to CC! :welcome:

Andy in Germany likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

The happy cyclist Regular

Ha ha thank you

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

I was sent here to cheer up any grumpy people on here

Sharky and Pat "5mph" like this.
  4. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

I've had static (dumb) turbos for about 30 yrs now. Never used very much, but have found them useful when bad weather stops me going outside. Also helpful when recovering from broken bones.

However, since no longer commuting and having broken the odd bone or two in the last 10 years, I've found that my 10 times have gradually been getting slower. So this last week I've done a few sessions to try and boost the remaining 10's and I plan to be a bit more structurd thru the winter in the hope on reaching my 70th year, it will be a good one.

The happy cyclist likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

I also think I will get good use that way! Especially with all the apps out now like zwift and all that they record your power and cadence which I don’t have while on the road!

Sharky likes this.
  6. Welcome:welcome:

Turbo miles are the epitome of junk miles, unless you are doing specific targeted drills ( one leg, HIIT ) and so on and so forth. They can be very useful training aids, or they can be used for just meaningless junk plodding ( non training plan Zwift etc.) Actually, due to the fact that on ( most ) turbos, the bike doesn't move about in a ‘natural’ way, and you don’t have braking / cornering forces, purely using a turbo trainer, with no actual road riding, is counter productive in the long run. Using it as a supplement is better.

The happy cyclist and Sharky like this.
  7. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Hah! Sure there’s lots to be gained on the road, but I meant https://www.trainerroad.com which is structured indoor training (or outside) which I use on my Wahoo Kickr. It has really turned my general fitness and fat loss around. Gaming or immersive apps didn’t suit me. I prefer to plug into music or podcasts while I ride on the turbo. It suits my busy work/childcare lifestyle to a T.

8. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Smart turbo and Zwift - I seem to be upgrading my 'screens' at present - ebay bargains.

PS it's a supplement, not a replacement for real miles - I don't ride road any more (too many drivers breaking key bones).

9. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

Great points there thanks! I’ve no intention of using turbo trainer if I can get out on the road but if/when I do use one it will more than likely be the kinetic rock n roll but I will be sticking to a planned training

Racing roadkill likes this.
  10. Threevok

Threevok President of the Not From Brazil party

Hello and :welcome:

11. Venod

Venod Eh up

I agree with you, its no substitute for road riding, but if the turbo is the only thing you do, then riding on a turbo is very productive.

12. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Back in my running days I was milling round with the other runners before the start of a half marathon. Someone in charge started announcing "athletes this way". I thought that there was maybe a separate start for the athletes, and then the rest of us losers would be set off. It didn't occur to me that someone could possibly be including me as an athlete. Eventually when it seemed everyone else was following the official I tagged along.

The happy cyclist and Sharky like this.
  13. It’s better than sitting on the couch.

Venod and The happy cyclist like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

Thank you :bicycle:

15. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

As long as you do any sort of exercise I’ll call you an athlete! Athletes come in all shapes and sizes look at Tyson fury :boxing:

Dogtrousers likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice