Happy International Men's Day 2020

Experimentation is the key.
any experimentation on that front is my own business - no one elses - don't feel any obligation to do or not - to fly any flags for the UN.

Or does the UN have a new webshop flogging personal products I am unaware of?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I thought there would have been loads of bare chested ladies wearing stocking and suspenders shouting "get it here " ?
Well there might be.

But then again, It could be like the 52 virgins allegedly waiting for the Jihadists.

There may be reasons for their virginal status ??
:rolleyes:

It's funny how no one's turned up going

"But what about International women's day??"

Because we know 'ours' is in March.

And are quite happy with the focus, being on other genders, for a whole day.

After all most of us have fathers, brothers, sons, friends, and lovers, who happen to be men, that we care about and want to be happy.

In addition to knowing that society is nicerer for everyone, when everyone gets a fair deal, and hasequal freedoms to be.

I don't think on the whole women ever sought to dissuade chaps from talking about their feelings, fears or problems, did they?

it was the strict ideas of patriachal 'norms' wot did that .

Thank goodness the current youth - of all genders and none are finding better ways of communicating their needs, and feelings - it's still patchy I know - but there are glimmers of hope.

Even among some older ones on here :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I didn't realise it was Men's day on Thursday but went for a ride with another person that gender identifies as a him, as do I. PC madness gone mad.

Some fellas went on a bike ride.

The bosses (gender identified as her) wanted us back in one piece.

"But what about International women's day??"

Because we know 'ours' is in March.

And are quite happy with the focus, being on other genders, for a whole day.
It would appear the UN Women were not that happy, nor were a number of UK politicians.

After all most of us have fathers, brothers, sons, friends, and lovers, who happen to be men, that we care about and want to be happy.

In addition to knowing that society is nicerer for everyone, when everyone gets a fair deal, and hasequal freedoms to be.
Entirely with you there: we're aiming for the same goal.

it was the strict ideas of patriachal 'norms' wot did that .

Thank goodness the current youth - of all genders and none are finding better ways of communicating their needs, and feelings - it's still patchy I know - but there are glimmers of hope.
That's the funny thing: so many of the men who end up where I work have two things in common:

Firstly they shouldn't be there; they have the potential to be and achieve a lot, but were broken.

Secondly, it's amazing how many were ignored when they asked for help, and not just by men. Women are apparently very effective protectors of "patriarchy" when it suits them, so are government agencies.

The amount of help available to men with psychological issues (at least here) is less than for women, also men who are homeless, even though more men are affected by this. It amazes me how easily women get help: there are agencies, drop in centres,, counselling, you name it. Men have to look much harder and often end up in places not really suitable for their needs, because there isn't as much funding available.

I'm not sure you can blame that on patriarchy, although I do think men need to speak up a bit more. Unfortunately they get shot down frequently when they do, but I think the tide is turning.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It would appear the UN Women were not that happy, nor were a number of UK politicians.

That's the funny thing: so many of the men who end up where I work have two things in common:

Firstly they shouldn't be there; they have the potential to be and achieve a lot, but were broken.

Secondly, it's amazing how many were ignored when they asked for help, and not just by men. Women are apparently very effective protectors of "patriarchy" when it suits them, so are government agencies.

The amount of help available to men with psychological issues (at least here) is less than for women, also men who are homeless, even though more men are affected by this. It amazes me how easily women get help: there are agencies, drop in centres,, counselling, you name it. Men have to look much harder and often end up in places not really suitable for their needs, because there isn't as much funding available.

I'm not sure you can blame that on patriarchy, although I do think men need to speak up a bit more. Unfortunately they get shot down frequently when they do, but I think the tide is turning.

Yes to much of that, although things are as you know slightly different here in UK.
Refuges, support of all sorts, for everyone is hanging on by a thread.

The MTFU, don't talk about your feeling s, don't be 'soft' and talk about your feelings stuff comes from centuries if condition g men to be 'tough' and unfeeling I guess.

Makes them less likely to complain abiut going to war, working, and living in terrible conditions, and all that sort of thing.

I agree also some women can bully, glorify violent stuff like warmongering, and fighting and stuff like that too.

All products if society both historical and now, where those sorts of behaviours were seen as useful in some way.

Like I said its changing somewhat among the youth.
It's no longer seen as 'uncool' to have emotional articulacy, or talk about mental health, or relationships.

Or at least thats how it is among the young people I hang out with, and for my two grown up sons too.

It's one of my 'proudest' parenting achievements (if pride isn't a sin when it comes to parenting) that they are able to navigate difficult feelings, ask for help, be vulnerable, but also have deep and lasting relationships with both men and women.

I think there is hope, and progress is being made.

Talking about it more helps for sure. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I didn't really see what the UN had to say, about it all in detail.

But I guess they are looking at things through a global lens of gender inequality, rather than from the rather more rarefied atmosphere of relatively well funded social services, in one of the most socially progressive countries in Europe.

There is still a tremendous amount of work to be done in tacking violence against women and girls, inequalities of education, and property rights, opportunities, political influence, and so forth.

I suppose the funding in Germany is skewed in favour of getting women off the streets, and into secure accomodation, as even there they are going to be more susceptible to sexual violence, exploitation, or coercive behavior.

Of course i think everyone should have a secure home, and get their basic needs met, as well as proper healthcare both physical and psychological.

But as long as these things are 'rationed' by the powers that be, someone has to decide who is a priority.

Such a shame that this should even be an issue, or an argument when in truth we do have resources to care for each other.

And what's more its been shown, time and again that it's more economic to address these issues, before they become crises

Whether or not you personally 'care' about these people or not..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I notice that almost everyone who uses the term 'PC' a) uses it disapprovingly and b) appears not to understand it.
It's a bit dull isn't it ??

Almost like there's a deliberate resistance to comprehension.

No wonder That Lawrence Fox chap, and his ilk are so popular with their appeals to the ignorant.

Sigh...

I notice that almost everyone who uses the term 'PC' a) uses it disapprovingly and b) appears not to understand it.
not true.
I'm pretty PC, always have been, at least since the 80s*, but it can be misused like anything - used for folk to exercise their egos/exorcise their demons/complexes/crippled egos.
Such is human history - lots of examples of it.
*In the 80s as a bright young thing I occupied an office of liberal lefties, including me - came to see the games often afoot.
Am still a liberal lefty but hate cant and game playing.

I didn't really see what the UN had to say, about it all in detail.

But I guess they are looking at things through a global lens of gender inequality, rather than from the rather more rarefied atmosphere of relatively well funded social services, in one of the most socially progressive countries in Europe.

There is still a tremendous amount of work to be done in tacking violence against women and girls, inequalities of education, and property rights, opportunities, political influence, and so forth.
On many of these issues the UN and other large organisations have 364 days to quite rightly publicise them; the tweet above give the impression of wanting to co-opt the one set aside for men and make it fit their own agenda, which isn't the point.

There is a huge amount to be done about violence against men and boys, and inequalities of education for boys, and opportunities as well come to that; and that's the point of that one day.

Last edited:
not true.
I'm pretty PC, always have been, at least since the 80s*, but it can be misused like anything - used for folk to exercise their egos/exorcise their demons/complexes/crippled egos.
Such is human history - lots of examples of it.
It can also be used to silence people from different groups as effectively as any propaganda.

Top Bottom