Happy International Men's Day 2020

Very un PC

Obvious 'what about international women's day?' jokes notwithstanding, this is very important, especially in these times but all the time really.

If you think you might need help, ask.
Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of "what about international Women's day"? howls, perhaps we're getting somewhere.

Men's suicide is a massively underappreciated epidemic at the moment, partly because men feel/are stigmatised for actually saying they have a problem . As one activist said "Any man who admits they need help, immediately loses eligibility for that help".

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of "what about international Women's day"? howls, perhaps we're getting somewhere.

Men's suicide is a massively underappreciated epidemic at the moment, partly because men feel/are stigmatised for actually saying they have a problem . As one activist said "Any man who admits they need help, immediately loses eligibility for that help".
It was on March 8th 😄

I was totally unaware of it.
Wouldn't have known if not for the OP.
Not given any coverage at all in the main UK media that I am aware of.
Which maybe says something.

I was totally unaware of it.
Wouldn't have known if not for the OP.
Not given any coverage at all in the main UK media that I am aware of.
Which maybe says something.
Indeed. It certainly contrasts with the narrative that somehow men's concerns and needs are given higher priority.

I did notice some attempts to hijack it by suggesting it should be used by men to highlight women's issues...

On the other hand, last year I got shouted at quite loudly for even posting this so I'm viewing that as an improvement...

Indeed. It certainly contrasts with the narrative that somehow men's concerns and needs are given higher priority.

I did notice some attempts to hijack it by suggesting it should be used by men to highlight women's issues...

On the other hand, last year I got shouted at quite loudly for even posting this so I'm viewing that as an improvement...
yep.
I may be mistaken but I seem to recall there's been something in the news of late about a woman shouting at folk, several of them men, two felt they had to resign to escape.

Despite the common narrative, men often withdraw from conflict overt or covert - go sit in front of the telly or whatever.

I recall a few instances where folk have said to me: she's really chatty, but her husband is boring, just sits there.

and have thought, hmm, that's not necessarily what is going on - there may be more to it.

Last edited:
Despite the common narrative, men often withdraw from conflict overt or covert - go sit in front of the telly or whatever.

I recall a few instances where folk have to me: she's really chatty, but her husband is boring, just sits there.

and have thought, hmm, that's not necessarily what is going on - there may be more to it.
This could be the public appearance of a lot of Psychological issues, including bullying and psychological abuse.

Top Bottom