France en Velo - Channel to Med - Completed

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by mikey951r, 21 Jul 2019.

Tags:
  1. nagden

nagden Active Member

Excellent read. Thank You for sharing. Hats off to You both for dealing with the heat. I live in Normandy And find that prices increase the further South You go or the Closer You get to the coast.

2. Zeffer

Zeffer Senior Member

I'm planning on this exact ride next summer with my wife. I don't think we'll be as fast, but hopefully we will make it! Looking forward to reading your article after work.

3. Great trip report and thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a fantastic time even with the heat.

4. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

It was :sweat:.
    I just returned from 1 month in France, and it was consistently hot.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2019
  5. Simon_m

Simon_m Veteran

going to have a read through this a bit later too. In 2016 a group of friends did a c2c through France with a route I made up, worked really well. So well in fact, that we are doing it again in 2020 with a different route through the Alps :smile: Van supported so we can pick up lots of wine along the way :smile:

6. IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield Regular

Excellent account Mike, thanks.
    You seemed to seek out campsites in a fairly relaxed manner i.e. not planning too far ahead. Just wondering whether you arrived in an area, then sought sites, or perhaps searched on t'Webs for possible targets the night before ... or maybe some other strategy?
    Cheers.

7. Cranky Knee Girl

Cranky Knee Girl Veteran

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to do it. A France north to south in some way is probably our next tour, but I need to write up our last one on the Inner and Outer Hebrides first. i promised OH on one particularly freezing night huddled in tent we'd do a warmer one next time but honestly 5 layers to sleep in and wind and rain in Scotland is far far preferable to 30+ Great detail in your notes, OH is very dubious about flying with bikes, but as I said if you only do it on the return trip no worries about damage etc. all I have read about the big bags is that the bikes are treated with far more respect than boxes.

8. OP
    OP
    mikey951r

mikey951r Über Member

Generally, I looked on the internet in the area we were aiming for the night before just to make sure there were a few to choose from, then I’d refine that over lunch on the actual day when we knew exactly where we’d finish. When I did LEJOG I was surprised how few sites there actually are in the UK. The opposite is true in France. Any reasonable size town has a campsite run by the Marie. Our back up was always to wild camp, which we had to do one Sunday night.

IaninSheffield likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    mikey951r

mikey951r Über Member

I must admit it was the only aspect of the trip that worried me, but in the end it was stress free.

We used the £10 ones from Wiggle and took them with us. Both bikes were absolutely unscathed. They went through the oversize bag area right next to the bag drop. I saw mine on it’s own trolley going across the tarmac and being gently loaded. On return at Luton the bikes were hand delivered through a side door next to the baggage carousel. Three lads on our flight had a nightmare tale about trying to get bike boxes in Nice, which they ended up paying more for than the bike bags we had.

Cranky Knee Girl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice