Folder mods

Rusty Rocket

So I stumbled across this video of someone modifying their folder to be more of a road bike:

View: https://youtu.be/VFxlqclIAZA

Seems pretty extreme to me, and I cringed when I saw how the new drop handlebars sat when folded (not pretty!)

Anyone else done anything to their folder (Brommie or other) that’s a little out of the ordinary?

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've seen Bromptons with drop bars that - as far as I can remember - folded OK. But my memory is not all that reliable. That's more ergonomics than weight. If you want to lighten your Brompton then a Ti rear triangle & setpost should probably be your first starting point.

In fact, those mods are not particularly extreme. Just from going on a few Friday Night Rides to the Coast I've seen stranger things.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've seen Bromptons with drop bars that - as far as I can remember - folded OK. But my memory is not all that reliable. That's more ergonomics than weight. If you want to lighten your Brompton then a Ti rear triangle & setpost should probably be your first starting point.

In fact, those mods are not particularly extreme. Just from going on a few Friday Night Rides to the Coast I've seen stranger things.
The weight savings from Ti parts on a Brompton are fairly minimal compared to the costs and unlikely to affect speed greatly. As we (should) all know, speed for any given rider is mostly about aerodynamics and Bromptons and most other folders are not designed primarily for aerodynamic efficiency, however, adding drop-bars should have a potential benefit far greater than weight savings.

Tenkaykev

Veteran
I’m fortunate to have both a bog standard M6L and a CHPT3.
I love them both. I do notice the weight difference when picking them up or folding them, and the C3 is a smoother ride, probably due to the combination of titanium and smoother tyres.

OP
R

Rusty Rocket

Oh, and I may sound like a grumpy old man but that saddle he’s put on looks absolutely hideous. I’d last about a mile on that before I had to bin it

chriscross1966

Über Member
Modding Bromptons isn't for everyone nor should it be, we are all different... my four are meant for different situations, Henrietta, the 11-speed Vostok is to my mind my perfect daily commuter and workhorse. She can manage the big shop or a weeks camping within her flexible luggage options, Persephone the Nickel looks like she is heading in another new direction, having been a 5-speed with a daft 80-tooth chainring then an 11, she's likely to end up wearing Campag Ekar 13-speed as soon as SEMA get the new pattern freehub on their lenticular 349 wheel, that'll be paired with a trispoke up front ... the recumbent project now gains an 11-speed Alfine wheel from Persephone and needs me to find some extended workshop time to machine parts... Francesca will be going 2 by up front and the 75T dinner plate will be swapped for a set of 61-46 TT rings and a Moulton AM7 cluster at the back, meanwhile her cranks, the levers off the powergrades and the Deltas covers go of to get pantographed and polished and the rear triangle gets modded to fit the Delta better... I can't say my other bikes get left alone, my 89 Bianchi currently wears monstrously deep carbon Zipp wheels with about half the sensible number of spokes and there's a Bianchi MTB alloy frame transforming into a drop-bar gravel/bikepacking ride....

Top Bottom