Dyson Pulls out of the EV Market

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
"The future's electric, that's why Dyson's investing squillions of pounds in Britain, roooool Brittanyuuuuur , Brittanyuuuuur waives the rules, Spitfires over Kent, rat a tat tat take that Johnny Forriner... Oh...
Sadly, he wasn't planning to sell them in Europe, and in order to manufacture them at a cost they could a hope of selling at a viable price meant manufacturing close to the far eastern markets they were targeting. Alas, with the slowing growth of those economies even that is no longer deemed viable, so he's binned it off.

Nearly all of the 400+ of the development jobs were UK based, and loom likely to remain as the new found battery technology is applied to their core products. So yeah, he's done his bit for UK jobs and for our econony, and he still lives here and pays UK taxes, so I won't be too churlish.

I agree though that your granny blowing on your hands would dry them quicker than a Dyson Airblade.

As for Nissan, every time there is some kind of economic upheaval they make noises about leaving the UK as a tactic for generating bribes, sorry, grants, from the government to get them to stay. It has nothing to do with their economic viability and everything to do with being a tactic to get the local government to give them money. They've done the same trick at their manufacturing facilities in Hungary and Poland too. Of course, it has recently backfired for Honda, who took their bribe and then shortly afterwards announced they're closing down their UK operation - they're now having to repay that government investment.

Nissan aren't daft and they know that if they wind down any UK operation they too will now have to repay the hundreds of millions they've received over recent years, so the fact they're making their usual and regular silly noises in their attempts to attract further bribes to stay shows that they have no intention of leaving - why bother accepting a grant you'll only be made to pay back with interest? These companies can't not pay them back, as if they fail to do so then once that precedent is set no country in the world would ever subsidise their local operations again, and they would be out of business.

Last edited:

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
Sadly, he wasn't planning to sell them in Europe, and in order to manufacture them at a cost they could a hope of selling at a viable price meant manufacturing close to the far eastern markets they were targeting. Alas, with the slowing growth of those economies even that is no longer deemed viable, so he's binned it off.

Nearly all of the 400+ of the development jobs were UK based, and loom likely to remain as the new found battery technology is applied to their core products. So yeah, he's done his bit for UK jobs and for our econony, and he still lives here and pays UK taxes, so I won't be too churlish.

I agree though that your granny blowing on your hands would dry them quicker than a Dyson Airblade.
I've got one of his ludicrously priced fans......and yes it works, it works really well - I did have to go begging to my bank manager before I bought it.

But the Millennium Bug was real, and it only didn't have a huge effect was because it was identified as bug and lots of resources were put in place to alleviate it ? I'm not sure I follow the connection to Diesel cars ?
Well a huge load of resources were put into fixing it, I'll grant you that.
luckily we avoided the disaster of the odd report having the wrong date on

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
John Lewis sell loads of them around Christmas... my brother is very grateful come the December numbers!
I take it you mean hair dryers, and not bendy straws? :laugh:

Dyson's probably pleased about the efforts to reduce single-use plastics as he's now cornered the market in asthmatic hair dryers....

Dec66

Whenever I've stuck my hands in one, my skin ripples around disconcertingly, but the water stubbornly refuses to shift.

He should re-market them as subcutaneous blubber shifters, or something.

And his new urinals are rubbish .... OK, they blow warm air on your privates, but piss goes everywhere !

(sorry, couldn't resist posting this one yet again)

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
OP
Phaeton

Phaeton

Guru
Isn’t that normal when men urinate anyhow? :blink:
Oddly enough I have just had this conversation with my sister, my 94 year old father has been staying with her after a fall, when asked how it was going this was the only negative, both her & husband have to wipe down before walking very far into the loo

Dec66

As for Nissan, every time there is some kind of economic upheaval they make noises about leaving the UK as a tactic for generating bribes, sorry, grants, from the government to get them to stay. It has nothing to do with their economic viability and everything to do with being a tactic to get the local government to give them money. They've done the same trick at their manufacturing facilities in Hungary and Poland too. Of course, it has recently backfired for Honda, who took their bribe and then shortly afterwards announced they're closing down their UK operation - they're now having to repay that government investment.

Nissan aren't daft and they know that if they wind down any UK operation they too will now have to repay the hundreds of millions they've received over recent years, so the fact they're making their usual and regular silly noises in their attempts to attract further bribes to stay shows that they have no intention of leaving - why bother accepting a grant you'll only be made to pay back with interest? These companies can't not pay them back, as if they fail to do so then once that precedent is set no country in the world would ever subsidise their local operations again, and they would be out of business.
I'm afraid to say that's nonsense from top to bottom.

There's a fundamental fact. If their supply chain is disrupted, they can't build cars. If they can't build cars, they close the plant. It's that simple.

Even if their supply chain isn't disrupted, the costs incurred by any form of Brexit (conservatively estimated by those biased remoaners at £15bn per annum, almost twice the annual net contribution to the EU) is likely to make their operation untenable in any case.

Dyson probably came to the same conclusion when he crunched the numbers.

I'm afraid to say that's nonsense from top to bottom.

There's a fundamental fact. If their supply chain is disrupted, they can't build cars. If they can't build cars, they close the plant. It's that simple.

Even if their supply chain isn't disrupted, the costs incurred by any form of Brexit (conservatively estimated by those biased remoaners at £15bn per annum, almost twice the annual net contribution to the EU) is likely to make their operation untenable in any case.

Dyson probably came to the same conclusion when he crunched the numbers.
Sabre rattling by Nissan is nothing to do with factory over-capacity worldwide, oh no.

It is nothing to do with non-Brexit related tariffs making production outside Japan less profitable for Japanese companies, oh no.

It is all to do with Brexit, not that we have yet, but I suppose that is a minor detail.

Top Bottom