Cycling myths or common-knowledge you'd like to see dispelled

weareHKR

I just wait while I get back home & then check all the data on Google Maps, gives me a picture of my ride, distance, speed etc... don't have to remember to set it going or pausing etc, just have my phone with me... :laugh::becool:

freiston

Über Member
I just wait while I get back home & then check all the data on Google Maps, gives me a picture of my ride, distance, speed etc... don't have to remember to set it going or pausing etc, just have my phone with me... :laugh::becool:
I have referred to google timeline when trying to remember on what days I made certain trips and noticed that unless I am using another app that uses GPS/tracking data (usually Osmand), the google sampling rate is really off - cutting me across acres of fields instead of keeping me to the roads and reducing the mileage massively - probably by about a third most times.

valh

The myth that your legs will get big cycling is this true? I mean I have been doing it lately on and off for the last two weeks with no resistance and my jeans fit a little better

matticus

Über Member
The myth that your legs will get big cycling is this true? I mean I have been doing it lately on and off for the last two weeks with no resistance and my jeans fit a little better
I think yes ... and no ...

Not everyone builds muscle in the same way/amount. Most people that have a good diet and make some effort on the bike (you don't have to of course) will build *some* muscle. And those same people will very often lose a little fat somewhere else; so IMO you generally get some change in overall shape, at least initially.

Maybe! There are so many factors ...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I've cycled all my life and I have always had long, fairly skinny legs. I'd wager most other members here are similar. Definition and the tone / firmness of leg muscles definitely improves with more cycling, but not muscle mass. You're not weightlifting.

Pro sprinters have muscular legs, but that's only because they do a lot of weights in order to produce more short twitch muscle fibre, which is what you need to sprint. It's the weights (and not the cycling) that builds those thighs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tandems are always slower uphill

You've never met Mr and Mrs Wowbagger on their tandem then? It's hard to believe that something travelling at 1mph can keep up right and in a straight line. :laugh:
Bless them though, they pick up a jolly amount of speed going downhill.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
someone at work asked if i had a driving license last week
I get asked that a lot too... despite no longer cycling to work everyday. I'm always a bit surprised that they seem surprised when I say that I haven't. I'm beginning to wonder if it's one of those questions that everyone asks everyone else at some point.

myth: cycling is a sport.

Top Bottom