Changing from Shimano 105 5800 to Sram 11 Speed Rival or Force

vickster

Legendary Member
Question...to change from 105 5800 to SRAM 11 speed double do I need to change everything bar the chain, cassette and brakes (v long drop). Ie brifters, Chainset, front and rear mech?

I think I have a standard British BB

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Chainset will not need changing. Brifters and both mechs as I believe SRAM use a different ratio to Shimano.

OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd probably change the chainset, not only to have it all matching but also because I'd prefer 50/34 rather than the different size that's on the bike. All rather depends on cost and whether I can get into the swing of using Shimano!

We shall see what next week brings

lazybloke

Let's go sledding
I'd probably change the chainset, not only to have it all matching but also because I'd prefer 50/34 rather than the different size that's on the bike. All rather depends on cost and whether I can get into the swing of using Shimano!

We shall see what next week brings
Buying a complete new groupset might be cheaper than buying most of a groupset.

OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's the Rival 22 groupset, Mantel.com have prices a smidge under £400.
A used 5800 groupset could raise over £200 on ebay.
I’d rather buy from a U.K. retailer even if it costs a little more. Vanilla have for £440, used before

Sounds good on the 5800. I can try here too

OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
They’ve been out of stock since Christmas at least as I had a look in the sales. So I’d say doubtful, I’ll check though if I proceed. Spent enough on bike stuff this month already

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
You might be right. The whole lot can be had for around £440

I can then sell a whole groupset for someone seeking an upgrade
I would recommend selling the whole bike and just buying one with SRAM already fitted. Especially if it's got a Ti frame..:whistle::smile:

OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I would recommend selling the whole bike and just buying one with SRAM already fitted. Especially if it's got a Ti frame..:whistle::smile:
That had been my plan but this is still a good deal even if I convert. I doubt I will. I could swap over the 11 Speed from the carbon. After all it doesn’t really matter for a turbo bike :rolleyes:

Although I might part with it for £3k ;)

Top Bottom