Changes in acceptable language

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
The BBC are going to play an edited version of Fairytale of New York this year as they don't want to offend people.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375
Well they are and they're not, which is the more interesting thing about it. Are young people too easily offended and do older people better understand nuance? Or are younger people less tolerant of bigotry and older people more likely to hold bigoted views and so be less bothered by them? etc etc

The Radio 6 audience obviously sit outside the mainstream, are more discerning listeners and put more thought into understanding the content and context of what they listen to...

But it wouldn't be Christmas these days without someone banging on about the lyrics of FoNY. Honestly there's much less shoot Christmas music out there if you can be bothered to find it.

OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
see above about context.
Depends who is saying it and how.
and the context.
Folk involved etc.
I don't consider it a sexist term in itself.
Mind you "sexist" is a very over-used term.
I wouldn’t have a problem with it used in a gritty drama, a crime novel or an album track. I’m not banning the word but it doesn’t need to be in the radio edit of a Christmas song.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam4868

Guru
There was a good programme on Sky Arts by Irvine Welsh the other night.I think it was called Offended ? Anyway worth a watch if your interested
As for Fairytale of New York it wouldn't be Christmas without hearing that song...whos really offended.Or is it just something for certain people to cry about ?

There was a good programme on Sky Arts by Irvine Welsh the other night.I think it was called Offended ? Anyway worth a watch if your interested
As for Fairytale of New York it wouldn't be Christmas without hearing that song...whos really offended.Or is it just something for certain people to cry about ?
thanks for the recommendation - saw it in the schedule but let it pass - been watching loads of their other stuff.
Odd isn't it how the much-mocked (in my youth) "offended of Tunbridge Wells" lives on?

I wouldn’t have a problem with it used in a gritty drama, a crime novel or an album track. I’m not banning the word but it doesn’t need to be in the radio edit of a Christmas song.
Well I've been in contexts where it was used without any real offence being taken and I don't flatter myself that my life is a gritty drama, nor am I a criminal or an internationally famous album artiste.

and then there's this book.

Written by two women I believe:

and two free cycle contexts for you to enjoy from The Owl and The Pussycat - must see again sometime - I think there's maybe another bit where the Streisand character is asked about her role in this great work - if so and someone finds it please post.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRVs6pV6zkk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_yDhvBJuos

Last edited:
I think everyone should walk around with a dulux color chart around their necks so people can identify exactly what to call them in the absence of a name and dependant on whether they are having a hot flush at the time. I have yet to meet a "black" person or a "white" person, even In death father was more a light battleship grey. The wife goes from "morning light" to "salsa red" depending on the prevailing mood.

Top Bottom