BoJo's Green Revolution

Once upon a time, people lived close to their place of work - how radical is that?
In the future less people will travel to a workplace
Investment in more public transport must be part of green strategies, hell, they might even be compatible with bicycle usage
Vehicle rental will become ore of a thing rather than ownership

It's not like there are not answers to the 'problems', what's important is the will and investment.
Vehicle rental is appealing certainly but without changes to the insurance industry it certainly would not work for me and probably many like me. As it is I cannot hire a car or van as they will not give insurance beyond a certain age. In some cases 70 and some are 75 but beyond that forget it.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
Vehicle rental is appealing certainly but without changes to the insurance industry it certainly would not work for me and probably many like me. As it is I cannot hire a car or van as they will not give insurance beyond a certain age. In some cases 70 and some are 75 but beyond that forget it.
Insurance won’t be an issue. The machine will drive itself.

Landsurfer

Über Member
All this brave new world suff is great ....
In 1975 i was wearing jeans, t-shirt and trainers as my out of work wear ....
And here i am .... 40 + years later .... jeans, t-shirt and trainers ....

I predict that when PM Carrie and her bottom wiper Boris are ousted we may see a reality check on the brave new world ...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not just this example from me.
Previously we had a run of 3 Yaris. the last a Hybrid the previous 2 petrol. Over the 2yrs we owned each one the petrol only versions averaged 41,5-43.1mpg. The Hybrid 53.7mpg. We both drove them turn and turn about, the overall average, when Lady Byegad was using it went down on the petrol only ones. When I used them it went up. I tended to do the longer runs.
The Hybrid gave the opposite effect, with her town, shopping and short journeys giving far better economy, while my long distance runs were less economical.
But note the difference in the overall mileage, and our 68 plate Yaris had a lower power electric motor, than either the Corolla Estate we have now, or the new model Yaris now on sale.
This is similar to the experience to some I know who have Phev's as company cars. They also have charging at their office car parks. Their experience was that toodling to the office and back primarily in electric mode, they were winning, but as soon as they had to do longer runs like customer visits etc. consumption was heavy. On balance few of them said it was any benefit.
Whatever we choose it's a compromise. My smelly diesel regularly does between 56 and 60mpg, but that's me driving long trips on motorways primarily which is what it was bought for. It rarely ventures into town. We have a less polluting petrol car which gets used for all the local stuff which frankly could be replaced for an Electric/hybrid and rarely use anything other than electric mode.

DRM

Veteran
You're one of the few people in my anecdata set that have seen a notable improvement.
So optimistically, all other things being equal a reduction in 'direct' fuel consumption and hence local pollution from cars of around a third. That's not insignificant, but will it meet our targets? I think not when you factor in all the commercial vehicles.
I had a brand new Toyota C-HR as a courtesy car while the van was in for a service, from Wakefield to Leeming Bar, I watched the fuel gauge drop from just above 1/4 tank mark to nearly empty, I had the same on an Auris last year, the last time I had a fuel gauge plummet like that was on a V8 Rover !, this was keeping between 65 & 70 mph on the motorway & 50 mph on the national speed limits roads, if thats the best an Hybrid can do you can keep it, my petrol Vitara is better on fuel than that.

OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a brand new Toyota C-HR as a courtesy car while the van was in for a service, from Wakefield to Leeming Bar, I watched the fuel gauge drop from just above 1/4 tank mark to nearly empty, I had the same on an Auris last year, the last time I had a fuel gauge plummet like that was on a V8 Rover !, this was keeping between 65 & 70 mph on the motorway & 50 mph on the national speed limits roads, if thats the best an Hybrid can do you can keep it, my petrol Vitara is better on fuel than that.
Not my experience.

Insurance won’t be an issue. The machine will drive itself.
Not in my lifetime i think. The only possibility I have come up with so far is to have personal insurance covering any vehicle within a given range but that is not currently possible. No doubt somebody will be along to correct me if I am wrong.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I just wonder about people with familes on the sh1te minimum wage in this country, if they can afford a fully electric car or a hybrid. I just hope that fully electric cars come down in price, and last a long time, to make them accessible to the masses. A friend of mine drives really cheap old small petrol engined Japanese cars as it's all she can afford, whether this technology ever becomes as cheap/reliable as a 16 year old petrol Yaris, when it gets older remains to be seen. I can't see it. Shame that public transport is a joke in rural areas.

Last edited:
I just wonder about people with familes on the sh1te minimum wage in this country, if they can afford a fully electric car or a hybrid. I just hope that fully electric cars come down in price, and last a long time, to make them accessible to the masses. A friend of mine drives really cheap old small petrol engined Japanese cars as it's all she can afford, whether this technology ever becomes as cheap as a 16 year old petrol Yaris,when it gets older remains to be seen. I can't see it. Shame that public transport is a joke in rural areas.
Is there a ban on the sale of all petrol/diesel cars after 2030, or just new ones?

If it is just new cars I suspect people who cannot afford to buy expensive cars will still buy/keep old fossil fuel cars for a long time after 2030, as they do now, unless the government of the day put punitive charges on owning them and driving them.

There will still be garages and mechanics prepared and trained to work on them, and presumably petrol stations will still exist.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Who knows how they'll do it, but for thousands of years people got by with horse power at best. It might come down to physics, but you can imagine lots of ways electric or non oil cars could work reasonably well. We can't expect things always to get better. Oil will eventually start run out or become uneconomic.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Is there a ban on the sale of all petrol/diesel cars after 2030, or just new ones?

If it is just new cars I suspect people who cannot afford to buy expensive cars will still buy/keep old fossil fuel cars for a long time after 2030, as they do now, unless the government of the day put punitive charges on owning them and driving them.

There will still be garages and mechanics prepared and trained to work on them, and presumably petrol stations will still exist.
Just the new ones I believe. But the older ones will eventually die, unless people have the sense to fully rust proof them, to make them last for ages. I believe that they have to go to help the environment, just there's a lot of people in this country that drive cheap old cheap cars. That's really all that I was saying.

Last edited:

icowden

Über Member

They'll keep buying fossil fuel cars. The car only has to by a hybrid, so as long as it has some sort of basic electric battery that can drive the car a few yards it's a hybrid and therefore legal.

That said, manufacturers are starting to get away from developing ICE cars. For example Honda have just quit Formula 1 as they say they have no interest in developing petrol engines any more. I suspect that by 2030 most manufacturers will be producing electric cars, and there will be price droppage.

Top Bottom