BoJo's Green Revolution

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Scotland is a bit more spread out once out of the Central Belt, so again without significant investment in a reliable public transport system that works and gets everyone to where they need to be, nothing is going to change.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Personal transport will be only for the wealthy ... The rest of us will be forced into public transport that does not go to our place of work and extends our working day by up to 50% .... what a great advance for society.
Once upon a time, people lived close to their place of work - how radical is that?
In the future less people will travel to a workplace
Investment in more public transport must be part of green strategies, hell, they might even be compatible with bicycle usage
Vehicle rental will become ore of a thing rather than ownership

It's not like there are not answers to the 'problems', what's important is the will and investment.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Once upon a time, people lived close to their place of work - how radical is that?
In the future less people will travel to a workplace
Investment in more public transport must be part of green strategies, hell, they might even be compatible with bicycle usage
Vehicle rental will become ore of a thing rather than ownership

It's not like there are not answers to the 'problems', what's important is the will and investment.
But work patterns have changed. There's far less of the large employers using thousands of workers on one site. There's also far less of the "jobs for life" around. People are expected to travel more and change job more frequently.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
But work patterns have changed. There's far less of the large employers using thousands of workers on one site. There's also far less of the "jobs for life" around. People are expected to travel more and change job more frequently.
But it's morphed into the current status quo and given time and nudges it can morph back the other way, or into a different way.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well what are the private vehicles used for at the moment? Once you’ve thought about that, replacement options seem obvious don’t they? It hardly rocket science.
I use mine to get to work, to get the shopping, to go visit family ( on hold for now ) . Not all the time but some of the time. I also use it go on holiday. The Utopian view you share is admirable but currently not going to happen.

Ming the Merciless

Formerly YukonBoy
I use mine to get to work, to get the shopping, to go visit family ( on hold for now ) . Not all the time but some of the time. I also use it go on holiday. The Utopian view you share is admirable but currently not going to happen.
It is, and it’s not utopian. More than 90% of the time your car just sits there obstructing the highway. What an expensive and personal waste for everyone.

OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
You're one of the few people in my anecdata set that have seen a notable improvement.
So optimistically, all other things being equal a reduction in 'direct' fuel consumption and hence local pollution from cars of around a third. That's not insignificant, but will it meet our targets? I think not when you factor in all the commercial vehicles.
Not just this example from me.
Previously we had a run of 3 Yaris. the last a Hybrid the previous 2 petrol. Over the 2yrs we owned each one the petrol only versions averaged 41,5-43.1mpg. The Hybrid 53.7mpg. We both drove them turn and turn about, the overall average, when Lady Byegad was using it went down on the petrol only ones. When I used them it went up. I tended to do the longer runs.
The Hybrid gave the opposite effect, with her town, shopping and short journeys giving far better economy, while my long distance runs were less economical.
But note the difference in the overall mileage, and our 68 plate Yaris had a lower power electric motor, than either the Corolla Estate we have now, or the new model Yaris now on sale.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Über Member
Last 2 vehicles .. Isuzu pick up trucks, currently 9 seater Transit low emission mini bus .... average milage, business and family 78,000 for the last 3 years ... a great improvement on the 100K+ in the previous years ....
If you want things fixed, 24/7, some of us have to travel ....
Now where's the battery charger ..........

Top Bottom