BoJo's Green Revolution

byegad

Legendary Member
So new pure internal combustion engined cars using petrol or diesel will be banned from sale from 2030, with hybrid versions going from 2035!
Certainly ambitious, but the money he's suggested we need to spend is 5% of the estimates commissioned by the Green Party and others.
For younger cyclists this is perhaps good news, cleaner air in cities and near main roads, almost certainly lighter traffic as, while the cost of electric cars will undoubtedly come down, they'll still be expensive.
However, people will be driving large numbers of petrol and diesel cars for at least another decade. As someone who will count himself lucky to be around in 35, and a Hybrid driver to boot, I can't see it affecting me too much.
What do the younger CCers think.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902
Still waiting on Osbornes 2015 budget pledge to ringfence VED in 20/21 yet he is no longer the chancellor.

Bojo will not be pm long enough to see it through

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Let's say the whole nation moved to Hybrid cars, based on current car usage does anybody know what the actual effect on pollution (local and National)?
What are the like for like stats on a fossil fuel hybrid versus a Pure fossil fuel or pure electric. Am not convinced of the real-world benefits of hybrid technology...it seems the worst of both worlds....

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I drove one of the early Prius models as a company car. It got 44 mpg over the course of a year (about 30,000 miles). Not spectacular but maybe the newer ones are better.

matticus

Über Member
Let's say the whole nation moved to Hybrid cars, based on current car usage does anybody know what the actual effect on pollution (local and National)?
What are the like for like stats on a fossil fuel hybrid versus a Pure fossil fuel or pure electric. Am not convinced of the real-world benefits of hybrid technology...it seems the worst of both worlds....
It seems like the acceptable compromise, losing the least votes. It won't make the UK* much of a nicer place :sad:
Fingers crossed, the supply points (and battery tech) will be so poor that driving decreases subsstantially!

*and the places affected by destructuve mineral extraction.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
Unnecessary use of cars is the problem. Reduce that and arguments about their fuel requirements become less important and difficulties with power distribution are easier to solve.

Kerching - Road Pricing?
Unnecessary use of cars is the problem. Reduce that and arguments about their fuel requirements become less important and difficulties with power distribution are easier to to resolve.
Road pricing, especially if it is linked to car emissions addresses both of those points. You could also offer tax breaks for cycling and use of other low carbon ways of getting to work, such as claiming a rail season ticket against tax. The only way to get people out of cars is financially, either by punitive or reward.

matticus

Über Member
Unnecessary use of cars is the problem. Reduce that and arguments about their fuel requirements become less important and difficulties with power distribution are easier to resolve.
Yeah. What I meant to say is that too many people think their car mileage is sacrosanct [even though everyone else should cut down!],
so just making them buy new "greener" vehicles will be far more acceptable to voters.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
Road pricing, especially if it is linked to car emissions addresses both of those points. You could also offer tax breaks for cycling and use of other low carbon ways of getting to work, such as claiming a rail season ticket against tax. The only way to get people out of cars is financially, either by punitive or reward.
I agree. I think there needs to be careful thought given to costs per mile on different road types so that people with fewer transport choices, such as those living outside urban/suburban areas, are not at a disadvantage.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom