Biggest Defence Spending Increase In Decades...

HMS_Dave

Über Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54988870

This, on top of previously pledged increases...

Some might say it is much needed after years of decline, others might say that they didn't think @Drago would cost the Government soo much!

Labour welcome the news.

Boris talks repeatedly about leveling up this country, what level are we on now? 16? 19? ive lost count.

Anyway, The idea is that we'd also be fighting future wars in space, space is expensive. 40000 new jobs created over 4 years with much investment heading also to the new "Tempest" next generation fighter which is hoped will be exported with Sweden and Italy as partner.

I find the timing rather interesting. Im aware that another defence increase was always on the cards, as Mr Sunak had been pushing against big increases but with Biden winning in the US, and with Boris losing such an important supporter in Trump, it makes me wonder if we're trying to win as much appeal from the new administration as possible with Biden and the Democrats being such opponents of a no deal Brexit and Brexit in general... Who knows...

It is part of a worrying trend globally of increasing defence budgets. Little skirmishes breaking out here and there notably between China/India, China's bold claims on the South China Seas and ongoing threats against a Nuclear Iran... Makes me think we're on a potentially devastating path... Hope im talking complete 💩

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it the case the technologies relentless march forwards means more upgrades, more investment, more new weapons is inevitable just to keep up. Without it, would we be left completely and utterly behind in another 10 years ?
I read with interest the Tempest project, nice to see we're looking forward and manufacturing our own equipment (albeit in partnership I suspect) yet think it's a shame we invest so much in military equipment when the country has suffered decades and decades of squeeze and poor investment in social housing, roads, the NHS etc.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
But then properly managed, the expenditute brings jobs and therefore income back to the government, money spent the UK brings more taxtuon home again...

But as a government is involved it won't be properly managed.

We're in an awkward spot really. A country of our size and resources shouldn't have to worry auite so much, but our strategic position in the northat atlantic makes us a juicy target for a hostile take over, hence increading visits from Russian aircraft and subs probing our defences, testing, mapping, recording, learning. So British forces have to continually up their game and progress, and the whole thing rolls on and on.

It would be nice never to have to spend a penny on a military. The sad reality is that is we didn't then the last thing we would then habe to worry about is roads, Hospitals, and social services. Being of Jewish heritage I'm quite sensitive to the prospect of armed aggression, and only too aware of what can happen when it does come about and no one can stand up to them.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Sweden used to make their own killware. I used to wonder how they could afford it. They made their Saab Viggens and Gripens, and they had a pretty cool one man tank. Italy OTOH. I often used to wonder why their WW2 kit was so crummy, because their tradition of engineering is good.

All uphill

I didn't recognise you but I knew your bike
I'm so pleased the Tories have found the magic money trees!

Lots of ambitious, expensive plans - will they evaporate when the post Brexit reality strikes home?

Ah well, not to worry, BoJo will leave that mess to his successor.

Or maybe I just don't have enough faith, and simply need to pray harder.

Joffey

Veteran
But then properly managed, the expenditute brings jobs and therefore income back to the government, money spent the UK brings more taxtuon home again...

But as a government is involved it won't be properly managed.

We're in an awkward spot really. A country of our size and resources shouldn't have to worry auite so much, but our strategic position in the northat atlantic makes us a juicy target for a hostile take over, hence increading visits from Russian aircraft and subs probing our defences, testing, mapping, recording, learning. So British forces have to continually up their game and progress, and the whole thing rolls on and on.

It would be nice never to have to spend a penny on a military. The sad reality is that is we didn't then the last thing we would then habe to worry about is roads, Hospitals, and social services. Being of Jewish heritage I'm quite sensitive to the prospect of armed aggression, and only too aware of what can happen when it does come about and no one can stand up to them.
It would be lovely if we were part of a large political and economic union that would strengthen our position against threats like Russia. Might have saved us a few quid.

MartinQ

Veteran
This was repeated a couple of days ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bx1vh
Some things don't change ....

Joffey

Veteran
The RAF has been intercepting Russian Bears over the North Sea since the 1960s. While the aircraft have changed over the years (well the RAF ones, at least) I haven't seen any evidence of an increase in activity since those days.
Russia aren't invading us anytime soon. It's far easier to influence our elections and nudge us towards things like Brexit. Well played Russia on that front.

Top Bottom