Back packs and max weight

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by gbs, 4 Aug 2019.

1. gbs

gbs Veteran

What do you believe is a bearable weight in a back pack? The context is relatively short, say 10k, transfers by bike in typically urban or flattish terrain ie not for touring.

In giving your comment please indicate yr stats relative to me - I am late 70's, 6ft 2" 80kg/ 13 stone. I do not think of myself as a physically strong person.

2. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

6'4, 18+ stone. Maybe 25lbs or so for cycling purposes, assuming its well distributed and firmly attached. I'm used to managing a lot more on foot, being ex infantry and now a SAR volunteer.

3. Slick

Slick Veteran

I've heard a lot of people on here recommending panniers over back pack but for me, I think I actually prefer a back pack and would be happy enough with a good load but a 15kg wouldn't be too much trouble for a shortish ride.

4. flake99please

flake99please Make mine a '99'

Given your age and health I would say between 6-8 kilos.

Pat "5mph" and slowmotion like this.
  5. Brains

Brains Guru

Sounds about right to me
    (Under 20 LBS in old money)

6. OP
    OP
    gbs

gbs Veteran

Thanks for the response every body. I am going to trial 15kg when my new rucksack arrives.

7. Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy Veteran

I am 77 13 stone, into long distance touring and Mountianing biking, when out on the MTB backpack goes about 4kg's which includes a 2 ltr hydro water pack, plus spare inner tube and tools. for running aound and general cycling around about the same wieght as i teen to ditch the hydro pack to give room for other stuff. rteally a 5Kg wieght is enough for me, even though I still have a strong back as I still go backpacking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice