Adding gearing to a single speed Tern / Dahon

KneesUp

Veteran
I'm thinking of getting a folder of some sort for a new job - I will only need to travel some days so it'll be a budget (i.e. secondhand and not a Brompton) purchase.

I'm quite taken with the simplicity and weight saving of a SS for this, but if, for example, I bought a single speed Tern / Dahon and found my fitness wasn't quite up to it, I presume it would be just a case of getting a geared hub if I wanted to add gears at a later date? The Terns seem to horizontal 'track' drop outs. I can't see an issue - just checking in case I've missed something?

Of course if you've done the conversion then I'd definitely be interested to hear how it went. Thanks.

raleighnut

Guru
You should be able to drop an SA hub straight in as they go down to a 120mm OLD (at least the old ones do)

OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Veteran
Cheers - I think the 120mm might put me off a bit - I''d like the option to add a cassette at some point if I find that I love the bike - I could, for example, skip the train on the way home and get a nice 30 miles in - or use it as my 'take on holiday' bike for going out exploring places, and for both of those I'd want a decent range of gears because a) my knees are shot and b) I don't fancy standing up on a folder. I'll narrow my search to the ones that already have a cassette as I assume they will be 135mm OLD.

raleighnut

Guru
Cheers - I think the 120mm might put me off a bit - I''d like the option to add a cassette at some point if I find that I love the bike - I could, for example, skip the train on the way home and get a nice 30 miles in - or use it as my 'take on holiday' bike for going out exploring places, and for both of those I'd want a decent range of gears because a) my knees are shot and b) I don't fancy standing up on a folder. I'll narrow my search to the ones that already have a cassette as I assume they will be 135mm OLD.
I don't know what the OLD on a Tern/Dahon is though you would have to measure one but it won't be any smaller than 120mm.

126mm will take up to a 6 speed freewheel hub, 130mm up to 10 speed freehub and 135mm is MTB territory. I'd be more worried about fitting a derailleur to 'track ends' though, the old steel dropout adaptors would work but look a bit messy.

OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Veteran
Messy I can live with - not fitting is more of an issue! I know the single speed is 120mm because the spec was in a review I read, somewhere on the internets. I also know they do they with 135 spacing because there was a Tern with the SA hub that is 3 speed plus a cassette, which only comes as 135mm..

Top Bottom