A blow for Scottish independence

Edwardoka

Prolix Maximus
UK has a desperately over centralised system of government and the SNP Scottish government has continued the theme.
Er... I may have misread your post but it seems like you're making the argument that by decentralising power to the constituent nations they have increased the centralisation :huh:

Fram

Er... I may have misread your post but it seems like you're making the argument that by decentralising power to the constituent nations they have increased the centralisation :huh:
Not making an argument, merely an observation. Decentralising power from Westminster did not in itself centralise more power in London. The Internal Market Bill is another matter of course!

Last edited:
The Spanish nationalists are likely to be a pain in this respect. However, they would love to see the UK disintegrating for the sake of old scores, so they find themselves in a bit of a quandary.
I blelieve Spain's position was more that if Scotland were to become independent in a "constitutional manner"* then they would have no interest in the matter. Their own constitution says that Spain is "indivisible" as far as I know so they use that to hold on to Catalonia.

* Yes I see the problem there in a UK context...

Agree to disagree
Brexit was always about pockets (ask yourself whose)
Spain might not be minded, its government will
Oh, sure, for a small number of people it was their finances, but the used "Old scores" to get the majority of people to vote for it.

I have a vague memory of someone from the Spanish Government saying "If Scotland leaves the UK by legal means, Spain will have nothing to say on the matter" or similar.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I have a vague memory of someone from the Spanish Government saying "If Scotland leaves the UK by legal means, Spain will have nothing to say on the matter" or similar.
The point is I think that Great Britain is not really a unitary state. Scotland and England are separate kingdoms, Scottish independence would not analogous to say Yorkshire agitating for independence from the rest of England. Or Kent for that matter.

Scotland rejoining the EU of course would not be a matter for the member states but rather the EU government in Brussels. I know because I have researched this in detail on youtube ...

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Depends what you mean by "loved".
Well it was certainly not meant as a compliment! His faithlessness in his personal life will be reflected in his public political life.

Long gone are the days when sundry affaires would spell the end of a government minister's career, especially if he belongs to the party of traditional family values. So much hogwash, so much hypocrisy.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
That's the irony isn't it, Brexit is all about old scores.

I doubt Spain will be minded to make Scotland's rejoining the EU difficult (see above).
The Spanish government have said since 2011 that they have no objection to Scotland joining the EU.

Not making an argument, merely an observation. Decentralising power from Westminster did not in itself centralise more power in London. The Internal Market Bill is another matter of course!
Central control in Scotland started in the mid 1970's with the creation of the regions. The town I live in had a Provost, Town Council and Town Clerk as well as a Magistrates Court. All that was swept away by Strathclyde Region who also tried to destroy the old town records.
The whole thing was a shambles with control from Glasgow.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Do you think it’s a double bluff? Without Scotland‘s fifty-nine seats opposing them the Cons are pretty much guaranteed a majority in Continuity-UK forever. I wonder if they are deliberate goading the Scots. If so, it seems to be working.
Fifty-nine SNP seats or fifty-nine labour seats would have made no difference to the tory majority at westminster.

Top Bottom