A blow for Scottish independence

Flick of the Elbow

Expecting vaccination in August at best
Good old Boris. He’s done more for Scottish independence in one zoom call than the SNP in the last 20 years. What an arse.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54965585
He has a point though, the current approach on devolution doesn’t work for anybody. It fosters grievance, division, lack of accountability, it’s basically not fit for purpose. So in that sense, yes, it has been a disaster and it’s time to find some other way of doing things.

He has a point though, the current approach on devolution doesn’t work for anybody. It fosters grievance, division, lack of accountability, it’s basically not fit for purpose. So in that sense, yes, it has been a disaster and it’s time to find some other way of doing things.
I think your point is that it could work better if we had full control over our own affairs and not working as now with one hand tied behind our back.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
A ... misogynistic idiot.
I don't know, he seems to me to have loved rather a lot of different women ...

UK has a desperately over centralised system of government and the SNP Scottish government has continued the theme.
I tend to agree with you but I suppose running a country is a difficult balancing act. Once independence comes along then there is more opportunity for further devolution. As it is we have no option but support the SNP until then at least.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The real elephant in the room for Scottish independence movement is EU position which is less than lukewarm towards similar movements as seen in Catalan example. With majority of Scots voting against Brexit they could be in for a surprise with their future EU membership

C R

Veteran
The real elephant in the room for Scottish independence movement is EU position which is less than lukewarm towards similar movements as seen in Catalan example. With majority of Scots voting against Brexit they could be in for a surprise with their future EU membership
The Spanish nationalists are likely to be a pain in this respect. However, they would love to see the UK disintegrating for the sake of old scores, so they find themselves in a bit of a quandary.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Spanish nationalists are likely to be a pain in this respect. However, they would love to see the UK disintegrating for the sake of old scores, so they find themselves in a bit of a quandary.
Old scores are not as important as current pockets. No self preserving Spanish government would support Scottish membership - and currently, unless I am wrong, EU has to be unanimous about enlargement.

Edwardoka

Prolix Maximus
Spain would almost certainly have used their veto to sink Scotland's accession to the EU before Brexit.
They wanted to suppress secessionist movements within the EU out of self-interest, but Scotland is no longer in the EU.

Allowing Scotland back in would provide access to most of the current UK's fishing waters, something Spain in particular is not happy about losing.
Conversely when the Spanish consul in Edinburgh said that Scotland's accession would not be blocked by Spain, he was removed from the position.

So.. hmm. Difficult to call. Certainly not as cut and dried as some would have it.

Top Bottom